The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Why does my hard apple cider taste like lemonade?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
edmguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why does my hard apple cider taste like lemonade?

so i tried to make hard apple cider this is what i used

10 gallons of 100% pure apple juice (motts)
10 cinnamen sticks
1 lemon freshly squeezed
1.75 kg dextrose
10g of wine yeast
and a few teaspoons of yeast nutrient (what ever the package said)

sp. grav was 1.600 at start
6 days later sp grav is 0.992 and transfered in to 2 glass carboy's

my sample tasteed like lemonaid......why what did i do and what can i do to fix it?

why doesnt it taste like apple pie in a cup?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2009, 04:10 AM   #2
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well, it's got a lemon in it, for one. :-)

If you're tasting after a week or two I'd say it's very, very green and will change over time (months).
It's possible that it was fermented fairluy warm if it finished up in 6 days, but I could be wrong. I will also assume that 1.600 was a typo for 1.060 unless it was 10gals of concentrate.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:26 AM   #3
edmguy
Recipes 

yea oops typo 1.060...and my condo is allways 25 degrees celcius so it is warm. so its not a total waste just gotta wait it out now?
and the amount of lemon juice that went in was like 2 oz compaired to 10 gallons of apple juice....im so confused

when the water hits the rock....the water flows around the rock

Old 02-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I suspect that the bulk of what you're tasting is the very dry (zero residual sweetness) flavor that occurs when fermenting apple juice and sugar with wine yeast. Cider that finishes under 1.000 is going to be dry, and there's very little apple note left at that point. Then maybe the lemon sits on top of that and makes it seem more sour when it is really dry.

I would just let it sit and see if it mellows. You might be able to backsweeten like winemakers do; maybe a wine/cider person will chime in on that one.

I have not sampled a cider that tasted like apple pie in a cup, and I have not seen any recipes that suggested they would end up that way.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

If you are hoping for apple pie in a cup, then you are wanting a very sweet cider. What you have here is a very dry and young cider. Dry ciders tastes quite tart, and ciders taste very tart or "green" when they are young. The amount of lemon juice you added will have little effect on the overall taste and all it will do is add a bit of acidity, which in turn adds to the tartness of your dry young cider. Let it mellow for at least another few weeks. When it is crystal clear, as in you can read a newspaper through it, then taste it. If it is still too dry and tart for you, look into backsweetening. There are a lot of resources on here on backsweetening and the different methods of doing it.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
If you are hoping for apple pie in a cup, then you are wanting a very sweet cider. What you have here is a very dry and young cider. Dry ciders tastes quite tart, and ciders taste very tart or "green" when they are young. The amount of lemon juice you added will have little effect on the overall taste and all it will do is add a bit of acidity, which in turn adds to the tartness of your dry young cider. Let it mellow for at least another few weeks. When it is crystal clear, as in you can read a newspaper through it, then taste it. If it is still too dry and tart for you, look into backsweetening. There are a lot of resources on here on backsweetening and the different methods of doing it.

agreed - six days is so young it borders on pedophillia if you taste it at that point - let it be, leave it in the carboy under an airlock for at least another 3 weeks. I like to let mine hang out for about 2 months -then bottle.
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 02-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sample it again later.. if all else fails and you stil dont like it .. add a can of apple juice concentrate to help sway the flavor.

=============
I have no cool threads to link.

Quick Reply