The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Who knew how easy...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
paperairplane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Who knew how easy...

it is to make hard cider / apfelwein.... First try and so far, so good. I keep thinking relax, don't worry...

Locally, Kroger has cider and juice in 1 gal glass jugs. Cleaned everything up, took 2 cups of cider, heated and dissolved 1c white sugar and 1/2c brown sugar. Bloomed D47 yeast in 2oz water for 15 mins per instructions, added to the cider / sugar, dropped into the remaining cider and added airlock. Real busy fermentation the first week - basement is about 63-65*F.

I am a little over a week in and just moved to secondary. Quick taste test and it was still working, but nicely apple-y and certainly gaining in ABV. I am going to give this another 4-6 weeks and then probably just drink it. Not really looking to bottle or keg at this stage.

Next step is probably going to be to get a few 6 gal carboys and get serious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Epic first post! Congrats!

Old 11-08-2009, 03:49 AM   #3
paperairplane
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Funny, my first 1 gal jug now has a partner... and a 3rd I will probably pitch tomorrow. I think with some planning, I should be able to have a 3-4 jug rotation and have one about ready just about all the time, with no bottling necessary. Jug #1 is doing real well, if I had to guess it is already over 5% and still making 1 bubble / second. Thanksgiving should be fun.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

haha grats. This is how its done....just be sure to save a paycheck for when you go to the local brew store because youll go nuts if you anything like i am.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Hard cider is easy, but trying to duplicate a commercial cider is just about impossible, since most of them don't identify the apple type. On the other hand, I haven't had a home-made cider that wasn't at least good and most are excellent.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
PiecefulToker
Recipes 

I bought a gallon of pasteurized cider (Murray's I think it's called), added about 1/4 cup of honey, and half a packet of Nottingham without rehydrating. After 17 days I racked it off into another jug and just drank it from the fridge like that.

I poured a gallon of Whole Foods pasteurized cider on top of the yeast cake in that jug. It got down to 1.015 in 4 days, so I racked it and put it in the fridge.

I am going to use fresh yeast on the next batch, but I think it works great to use 1 gallon jugs and pitch on top of the previous yeast cake, maybe use fresh yeast every other time. If you used washing procedures, I bet you could reuse the same yeast many times without a problem. If you catch it before it goes dry, it tastes great and doesn't even need to be carbed.

I plan to keep this on rotation in my fridge as well. ~5 days from fresh cider to hard cider is pretty awesome.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What was the OG? 1.015 in 5 days seems awfully fast.

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 11-09-2009, 01:12 AM   #8
PiecefulToker
Recipes 

Didn't even measure it. Just plain juice with no extra fermentables, so I figure probably lower in the 1.040-1.050 range.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yep, it's about that easy. I was bottling yesterday and I had a gallon of AJ just sitting there. Unscrewed the top, pitched a pack of Premiere Cuvee, stuck on an airlock, and sat it back in my fermenting cabinet. Didn't even slow down my bottling. Today it's bubbling away. In a few weeks I'll be drinking it. Hard to get much simpler than that...

Quick Reply