Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > When to secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
groundling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default When to secondary?

I have brewed 2 ciders, 1 pear, a JOAM, and a skeeter pee. Now I'm ready to get a little more adventurous.

I want to do a cider with cranberry added in the secondary. The question is: at what stage of yeast activity in the primary do I switch to secondary? Vigorous activity? Wait till it's done?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Mermaid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

From my research and experience, you want to use your hydrometer. You could rack it off at 1.000 or a little above, but I think it's probably best to wait until it's cleared so you end up as little sediment as possible in your secondary.

I've got an apple melomel (cyser) going now that was 4 weeks in the primary (dropped to 1.000), then spent another 4 weeks in the secondary on top of some special apples (they're called "lady apples") - again I waited for it to drop clear. I just put it into gallon jugs to let it age.

Most of my experience in brewing has been with beer, so I've learned the art of patience Cider gets better with age. I'm of the opinion to let it finish dry, get it as clear as possible, so you have less crusty sediment at the bottom of your bottles.

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply