The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > When to rack to secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Maylar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When to rack to secondary

I have my first gallon of cider in primary fermentation and I'm trying to decide when it'll be time to rack to secondary and get it off the lees.

It's been 3 weeks now. The bubbles in the airlock have slowed to about one bubble in 5-6 seconds. Most of the krausen has fallen and I can see a layer of lees in the bottom of the jug, but the cider is still cloudy. Since I used pectic enzyme I was expecting the cider to clear up a bit when it slowed down. It'd be hard to see exactly where the lees ends. I'm willing to wait longer, but I've read that keeping it on the lees too long will impart a bad taste.

I started with orchard cider and brown sugar, Nottingham ale dry yeast (didn't re-hydrate it first). Temperature has been 72-74. What should I be looking for?

TIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
hunter_la5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 465 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 1267

If it's still bubbling I'd leave it be, but that's just me. Given that it's still fermenting, it may not be ready to clear up.

I've left ciders in primary for months with no ill effect, so I don't think another week or so is going to hurt anything here.

If you are satisfied with where the SG is at and want to speed things along, you can always try "cold crashing" by putting the whole thing in the fridge. After the cider has cleared up a bit over a few days in the fridge, you'll be ready to trasnfer.

1. Brazos Bock,
2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply