Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > When is my cider ready to drink?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
ShaneKasey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When is my cider ready to drink?

so my first batch of cider was finally crystal clear, it's been about 8 weeks, so i added the potassium sorbate or whatever, the chemical that stops fermentation, and i backsweetened it with tree top juice concentrate from the freezer, and now it's being force carbonated in the keg. So i was wondering if i still needed to let it age, i certainly can, but it is clear, very clear, so should i consider trying it next weekend? or should i wait another couple months? this is my first hard cider. i'm really excited, can't wait to start drinking it. i made it for my wife.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
billy_awesome
Recipes 

They say after 6 months in the bottles it tastes great. But I could never last that long! After 3 weeks + in the bottles it tastes great for me. But before 3 weeks it tastes like moonshine! it's funny how only a few days makes such a big difference!

Beer prices in Ontario Canada
24 Bottles for $28.89..........That's the DISCOUNT brand!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

You can drink it as soon as it tastes good to you. I prefer to let it age for at least 6 months but that's just where my tastes lie.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

+1 for Tusch's comment. I age it about 6 months as well.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Quick Reply