Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > When to bottle
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
WiscoMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 83
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default When to bottle

Hello,

I put my cider into the primary on October 1st. It is now October 17th.

I did not take a hydrometer reading because I do not have a hydrometer here at school with me.

Looking at the sides of the primary I can see very very small bubbles popping all over the place. Not as many as a week ago though. No activity in the air lock for the most part.

Seeing as its been over two weeks, should I wait another week and then bottle? I do not want to have any bottle bombs though!

__________________
On Deck:
Primary: Citra IPA
Secondary: None
Bottle Conditioning:
WiscoMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
UlyssesGrant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 20
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Now I am only going off of what I know from this forum, but I think there are a few ways you can go from here.

1. Wait until there is ZERO action in the carboy/jug/airlock for at least a few days. Then bottle it.

2. Bottle it as it is now, but make sure you cold crash the bottles, and you can't really take them out of a cold environment for any length of time as the yeasters will probably wake back up and possibly give you a bottlebomb.

3. Bottle it as is, and pasteurize your bottles as per pappy's thread on bottle pasteurization. This way you can still keep some of the sweetness, and you might even get some carbonation, but you won't have to worry about bottle bombs if you want to take them out of the cold environment. Apparently, the only downside to this approach is that it won't keep as well (long term).

__________________
UlyssesGrant is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
WiscoMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 83
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Thank you for your input. Those are all great options.

I did a little research so tell me what you think:

What if I were to wait another week, cold crash the jug for a week, and bottle. I am not shooting for a ton of carbonation so what if I didn't add any sugar before bottling?

__________________
On Deck:
Primary: Citra IPA
Secondary: None
Bottle Conditioning:
WiscoMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 889
Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default

I think your best option is this: Buy a hydrometer, take a reading immediately once you have obtained said hydrometer, then take another one 3 days later. If they are the same, bottle away. If they are different, it is still fermenting, wait longer.

__________________
JordanThomas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
WiscoMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 83
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I have one back home so I would rather not go out and buy another. I am just going to let it sit for another week. 3 weeks should be enough for all the sugars to be eaten so I won't have to worry about any bottle bombs. Also, cold crashing will help get most of the yeast out of suspension. What do you think?

__________________
On Deck:
Primary: Citra IPA
Secondary: None
Bottle Conditioning:
WiscoMan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 889
Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoMan View Post
I have one back home so I would rather not go out and buy another. I am just going to let it sit for another week. 3 weeks should be enough for all the sugars to be eaten so I won't have to worry about any bottle bombs. Also, cold crashing will help get most of the yeast out of suspension. What do you think?
While that's probably true, the only way to be sure that fermentation is complete is by testing the sugar level. They are what, $7? I think it's worth it.
__________________
JordanThomas is offline
buffalo Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Doongie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 176
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas

While that's probably true, the only way to be sure that fermentation is complete is by testing the sugar level. They are what, $7? I think it's worth it.
It's a gamble I choose not to take. The potential costs of the bottle bomb/s could far exceed the cost of a hydrometer. Not just bottles and time, but raw materials and wasted final product, and cleaning. A hydrometer is a cheap insurance policy.....
__________________
Doongie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 889
Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doongie View Post
It's a gamble I choose not to take. The potential costs of the bottle bomb/s could far exceed the cost of a hydrometer. Not just bottles and time, but raw materials and wasted final product, and cleaning. A hydrometer is a cheap insurance policy.....
Couldn't agree more.
__________________
JordanThomas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bubbles rising inside the bottle of a bottle-conditioned beer GregoryShmegory Bottling/Kegging 3 05-15-2013 01:11 PM
1st attempt at bottle harvesting - single bottle of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar TimpanogosSlim Fermentation & Yeast 49 07-01-2012 10:01 PM
For Sale - Mash Tun, Bottle Tree, Bottle Cleaner, 6 Gallon better bottles JClinedinst For Sale 4 06-19-2012 12:53 AM
Bottle Bomb Fear-Head in sealed bottle of beer KilhavenBrew Bottling/Kegging 19 05-08-2011 10:14 PM
For Sale - For sale, wort chiller, grain mill, bottle tree/sanitizer and bottle capper. KCMO Whammo For Sale 8 08-09-2010 03:59 AM