Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > What's this in my cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Winberry42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What's this in my cider?

Hi all, this is my first batch of cider. I used store bought sweet cider w/no preservatives, a cup of sugar, a half cup of honey, and (ugggh) a packet of bakers yeast. It worked like crazy for a couple weeks, then quickly settled down. I noticed some fuzzy white jelly floating in it so I put it into a secondary and now most of this stuff is on the bottom. Very little activity at the airlock. Should I bottle this, filter it, pasturise it, or drink it at all? It doesn't smell bad and it tastes really strong of alcohol. I didn't use any campden or test for ph or gravity. Thanks!

img_5260.jpg   img_5261.jpg   img_5262.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
BrewNoob519
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm fairly new at this myself but in my short experience with cider and mead I would say don't ever count a batch out unless your sure it's no good. I would rack it off of that jelly. Dissolve the appropriate amount of campden for the size in a quarter cup hot water. Add it when you rack. Make sure you have minimal head space as to limit oxygen. And hope it doesn't come back

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply