Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > What should I make in my empty carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Vox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default What should I make in my empty carboy?

Hey all. I've made a few ciders now and have a mead going. Thinking of making a ceyser I've heard so much about, skeeter pee, or something different. What do you all think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Skrufbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

LIMEADE! I just finished up drinking it all. Was the go to on them hot august days! If you go with lime or lemon use EC1118 I just bought 10 containers of minutemade limeade mix with a pound of white surgar toped off 5gal in primary, had alota pulp, but lost it when racked to 2ndary. Zero at bottleing, Came out 9%ish. just guessing a pint would get u buzzed quick. I did a gallon of mango that was awesome, but the carbonation buubles were HUGE

Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
ajoha2003
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 42

How long did take to make LIMEADE? And estimated cost?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 2578

Cyser is a good choice, but it'll tie up a carbouy for a while. Cyser is mead but with apple juice instead of water & it takes a few years of aging to get really good. Use the best apple juice or sweet cider you can get & a good varietal honey and you've got the makings for a great end product in a couple of years. Or you could make some graff, it's one of my favs. Maybe a braggot?
Regards, GF.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio
Cyser is a good choice, but it'll tie up a carbouy for a while. Cyser is mead but with apple juice instead of water & it takes a few years of aging to get really good. Use the best apple juice or sweet cider you can get & a good varietal honey and you've got the makings for a great end product in a couple of years. Or you could make some graff, it's one of my favs. Maybe a braggot?
Regards, GF.
What's braggot? I had a Woodchuck dry hop on tap that was interesting, but I'm not sure about a Graff as I don't care for hoppy beers.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:50 AM   #6
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmm, that limeade sounds interesting, and I have a carboy and fermentation bucket waiting to be filled with something delicious. I just need more secondary fermentation buckets or carboys to really be in business...

Old 09-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
What's braggot? I had a Woodchuck dry hop on tap that was interesting, but I'm not sure about a Graff as I don't care for hoppy beers.
A braggot is a VERY ancient drink made from malts and honey. It is delicious and under no circumstances should one go throughout life having never made one.

Look under the mead recipes for ideas. I haven't tried any of the recipes there, but many of them look great.

Here's a start. A little too plain for me but simple is good

Brandon O's graff is frigging spectacular and the hops are very very mild. Actually you could probably forget them... But I wouldn't suggest it

The fermentable world is at your utter disposal, my friend. There are very few legit excuses for an empty carboy. I suggest you remedy this problem quickly before the booze gods descend in anger and disappointment.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 2578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
Braggot is sort of a combination of mead & ale, but it's really a whole 'nother animal too. If you haven't already, pick up a copy of Ken Schramm's The Compleat Meadmaker
http://www.amazon.com/The-Compleat-M.../dp/0937381802

His Hefty Braggot recipe is definately worth making, very tasty. There are other braggot (sometimes called "bracket") recipes out there, I'm sure many of them are also quite tasty.

As for Graff, you choose which hops you want to use & how much you want to use. I like to use Goldings cuz I get that lovely hop profile without the hop bitterness. Something I discovered by accident that might be of interest to you is that if you use Goldings hops in Graff & then let that Graff age about 7 months or more, the hop flavour & aroma is virtually nonexistant. But you still have the mild bittering to balance the sweetness of the malt.

You can also alter the amount of malt, the type of malt, add various other grains (like oats or rye), and even add spices. I've been playing around with the graff recipe for a while now & regularly double the amount of malt extract & steeping grains. I also like to add FAJC (frozen apple juice concentrate), thawed of course, to the must for aditional apple flavour & sugar. I even add caraway seed to a few batches a year, mostly for drinking around the holidays, caraway goes with apple like butter goes with bread.

Oops, didn't mean to turn this into a novel. Hope this info helps.
Regards, GF.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio

Braggot is sort of a combination of mead & ale, but it's really a whole 'nother animal too. If you haven't already, pick up a copy of Ken Schramm's The Compleat Meadmaker
http://www.amazon.com/The-Compleat-M.../dp/0937381802

His Hefty Braggot recipe is definately worth making, very tasty. There are other braggot (sometimes called "bracket") recipes out there, I'm sure many of them are also quite tasty.

As for Graff, you choose which hops you want to use & how much you want to use. I like to use Goldings cuz I get that lovely hop profile without the hop bitterness. Something I discovered by accident that might be of interest to you is that if you use Goldings hops in Graff & then let that Graff age about 7 months or more, the hop flavour & aroma is virtually nonexistant. But you still have the mild bittering to balance the sweetness of the malt.

You can also alter the amount of malt, the type of malt, add various other grains (like oats or rye), and even add spices. I've been playing around with the graff recipe for a while now & regularly double the amount of malt extract & steeping grains. I also like to add FAJC (frozen apple juice concentrate), thawed of course, to the must for aditional apple flavour & sugar. I even add caraway seed to a few batches a year, mostly for drinking around the holidays, caraway goes with apple like butter goes with bread.

Oops, didn't mean to turn this into a novel. Hope this info helps.
Regards, GF.
I haven't brewed any beers on my own, only helped with a batch. I've only made a few ciders and JOAM. Beer is more complicated initially, but cider/mead is more of a waiting game and semi complicated later in the game with backsweetening and pasteurization. Is the braggot newbie friendly extract or all grain?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
Skrufbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoha2003 View Post
How long did take to make LIMEADE? And estimated cost?
well I used minute made concentrate, used 10 containers they were 2 for $3 ao thats $15 the yeast $1.50 5ibs bag of white surgar $2.79 and priming surgar $3 so that come to $22.29. it took from first mix in primary to ready to drink in 4or5 weeks. I left the pulpp in and lost it when racked to 2ndary, and I only used 10cups surgar used EC1118, Tasted like a margaretta

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS