Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > What does refrigerating do to fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
6lluv6lu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What does refrigerating do to fermentation?

I've made root beer a couple of times using champagne yeast. It got enough carbonation after a few days. I'd put it in the refrigerator to stop the fermentation. I've used plastic bottles only, and I've had one squirt all over the refrigerator.

So now I have a plastic bottle of half done apple cider. It was left over from some 5 gallon bottles so I thought I'd cap it off and have a carbonated apple drink. The thing is, it doesn't seem to stop fermenting. I've bled off a lot of gas several times, but it just keeps coming.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
JtotheA
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You probably sucked up too much yeast. Especially if that was the tail end of your batch. I move my primary to a spot where I will transfer and leave it there for at least a few hours before I transfer/rack. If it has fermented in a cool environment, your best bet is to keep it in that temp and rack at that temp. If you move it to a warmer spot, it's impossible to rack "carefully".

Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
6lluv6lu
Recipes 

What I am curious about is, does making the yeast cold (as in the fridge), kill it? Simply stop it altogether? Stop it until it warms up again?

Old 10-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Bauerbrewery1989
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It doesn't kill the yeast, just puts it in a dormant state. If it is taken out of the fridge, has residual sugars to eat, and left in a warm place, it will start fermenting again. Pasteurization is an option if you wanted to store it out of the fridge, and there is a great thread about it on this forum.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
6lluv6lu
Recipes 

Well it aint dormant even though it's in the fridge. Maybe it's got infected or something. I let a little bit squirt out and when I smelled it, there was a strong sharpness to it, like vinegar maybe. Tasting it I can't really tell if it's sour or vinegary.

Quick Reply