Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > What to do with my Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
801realtordotcom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default What to do with my Cider

I started my first batch of Cider over a month ago 5 gal of unfiltered apple juice, 2 lbs of light brown sugar and yeast. 2 weeks in primary and now 3 weeks in secondary. Tasted today and it is awesome. Still sweet, and you can definitely taste the alcohol in it. I think its perfect. Almost like a nice dinner wine. My hydrometer reading is around 1.019-1.020. I forgot to take an OG reading so I am at a loss here. Do I wait longer to let it ferment dry or can I bottle it now? If I bottle now will my bottles be carbonated or remain flat? I would actually prefer a carbonated final product. Thanks in Advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 298

I think you risk bottle bombs if you bottle now. There is potentially 15+ gravity points left to go. Take three gravity readings three days apart and see if it is still dropping.

801realtordotcom Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
lxxenigmaxxl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you want to bottle now and have carbonation you have to pasteurize which I will be doing in 3 days I have a cider that fermented out most of the sugar @ 1.005. I back sweetened it and brought the FG back up to 1.020.I bottled last night and will have to pasteurize in a couple days because the sugar I added, otherwise I will have a sticky mess. Judging by the ingredients the safe bet would be your cider is not done fermenting.

So if you like they way it taste and your good with that, do some reading . Once you cap those bottles they will continue fermenting and building up pressure till you stop the fermentation process which is not always the easiest thing to do. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295
or
Stop fermentation before bottling and keg carbonate it yourself.

Quick Reply