Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > What do I do now ??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
hunter006
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just had a quick rummage around. Found whats gone wrong.. 1 the yeast, will try the ale yeast ( nottinham) or somthing other than wine, Darker sugar not cane sugar for flavour and don't let it ferment out too much as to reserve some of the sweetness or will ale yeast do this.. let me knownif this sounds a better way..
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Keep in mind that unless your environment is the same every time, you will get different results. Even with the same ingredients. (temperature!, volume, attitude, sanitation) If you can control these, you can consistently produce a great product every time. (I think) it's important to create a BASELINE cider and then branch out to different ingredients.

The best part of making hard cider (or fermenting ANYTHING) is the experimentation process. I've got my methods down so that I can produce a consistent cider with ingredients that I can readily find and I enjoy the hell out of it. I also make a LOT of 1 gallon batches to try new ingredients. This keeps me from having to choke down 5 gallons of something crappy.

You'll have to determine what sort of cider you like, that you can produce with your environment. I like primarily dry ciders, but sweeter ones are good for sipping late at night after dinner. A gallon of store bought juice, some brown sugar and a couple of weeks can produce that very easily. It's not fru-fru...but it's tasty

Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
hunter006
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ok.. just about to start my second batch. Going to put pectolase in, now ive looked around because I did use this on my last batch but it was a last ingredient and all I can find is that this should be done before fementation, im going to chuck this in today but what I cant find is should it be done before I add anything else like sugars and nutrient or at the same time. Should be another 24h before I add yeast. SO..
TODAY
1. JUICE - PECTOLASE
OR
2. JUICE - SUGAR - NUTRIENT - PECTOLASE
TOMORROW
YEAST
FINNING will be added at the end of second fermentation which im estimating to be in around 3-4 weeks.
Tia

Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
hunter006
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ok people, everything is up and running and been bubbling away for the last few days. Now im hoping that this keep bubbling for a while as I have kept the temps down low.
I have taken OG but im looking for a semi sweet and everywhere states to leave until ffermentation stops and rack to secondary then take a reading? Is not ok to take while its fermenting? Other wise you'll never know when to stop it or am im being blonde. My last batch I fermented out and it was really dry.
TIA

Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
hunter006
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

All I need to know is it ok to take a reading at any point after fermentation has started. . Because I dont want to run it dry..
Thanks

Quick Reply