New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > What do I do next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
CiderFool
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What do I do next?

Hi,

I'm new to homebrewing and to this forum. What a great resource. Anyway, I'm on my second batch of cider. For the first one I used champagne yeast and unfiltered apple cider and it came out clear and light and sparkley with no flavor and I think very little alcohol.

For this second batch, here is what I've done so far: 3 gallons of apple cider + 2 gallons all-natural apple juice + about 2 lbs of raw cane sugar (dissolved in water) + a vial of White Labs English Cider yeast. Let that bubble away in a glass carboy until it stopped. Not apple-y enough at that point so I added 4 cans of pure apple juice concentrate (no preservatives). That caused a few more days of action.

When that was done, there were a couple of inches of yeast sludge at the bottom so I siphoned off the cider from the sludge, washed out the carboy, and put it back in (a little of the sludge got in the cider, but not much). I also added 4 more cans of concentrated AJ (same brand as before).

Now it's been 2 days and nothing. Would any action be expected at this point? I know I'm not doing this riight, but it just seemed like a good idea....

I've got a whole big mess of Grolsch bottles ready that I'm going to bottle it into. Should I let it sit in the carboy some more, then bottle it, or is it time to bottle now? If I bottle it now, for a sparking cider, should I add some more sugar (and how much?), or is the sugar from the concentrated AJ enough?

It tastes pretty good right now.

I am sooo excited about batch number 2! I'd be thankful for any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
Alx Rains
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

umm, I'd leave it for a bit before adding extra sugar in bottles. coz those Grolshy type bottles are very pretty and it would be a shame for them to go "BANG"

Old 02-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
CiderFool
Recipes 

Default It's alive!

Hi,
Well it's been almost a week and this morning I witnessed a bubble in the airlock and some foam, so I guess it is very slowly starting to come back to life.

I think I'll let it do its thing for a little while and when it's done, bottle it with a little priming sugar in my pretty flip-cap bottles to get a nice sparkley, delicious cider. So excited.
YUM

Old 02-02-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

You may be pushing the ABV tolerence of the yeast. If it doesn't get going soon, try a white wine or a mead yeast.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply