Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > what is the difference between cider and wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
blandeena
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default what is the difference between cider and wine?

I've been wondering what the technical difference is between cider and wine. At first I thought that it was just that ciders are carbonated, but that's not always the case. Ciders can be carbonated or still, and wines are sometimes carbonated(sparkling). Then I was thinking it was the type of fruit, but I've seen apple wine and apple cider, pear wine and pear cider etc. Is it the strain of yeast used that defines wine vs. cider? Just curious!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
wreckinball9
Recipes 

yes, its the strain of yeast and the abv. above 9%ish i would call apple wine.

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Strain of yeast has no effect, cider's can be made with ale, lager, wine, champagne, hell even bread yeast. And most people have differing definitions, but generally the standout difference is alcohol percentage.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
blandeena
Recipes 

thanks for the response, I've been curious for awhile!

Quick Reply