The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > what is the best yeast to use for making sparkling cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
baddagger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default what is the best yeast to use for making sparkling cider

so what yeast is best to use to make a sparkling cider?

also to make it a sparking cider do i have to let the yeast carb up the cider ... or can i force carb? or will force carbing change the flavor and not make it a sparkling style cider?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

You could force carb chocolate milk if you wanted to... check out Edwort's Apfelwein recipe. Its been restarted, it used to have a thousand posts before it got locked. You might be able to access the original. Anyway, there's a lot of good information on there, everything you are looking for and much more.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Oh but to answer your question, Montrachet wine yeast is what is used in that recipe. Its super cheap and will give a nice dry cider.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

read through this thread (it's long) he test different yeasts side by side

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/resu...riments-83060/

Old 08-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 866 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

I use Nottingham usually to make sparkling ciders.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've only used ale yeasts, and probably only about 10 of them. From comments that I've read, ale yeasts seem to leave the cider with more apple flavor. I have no data for that assumption and have never brewed with wine yeast. For me the yeast is cheap since I just take some from the cake of a beer (free yeast).

I've used several English yeasts, American yeasts, Belgian yeasts, and some Brett.

My favorite is Brett-B (WLP650), followed by WLP550 Belgian yeast. Both of these provide a lot of fruit flavors from the yeast, bringing a lot of flavor to the finished cider.

NOTE: Brett, when used as a primary yeast, does not produce funky/leather/farm flavors, it produces lots of fruit flavors.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Ill bet that ale yeasts tend to leave a sweeter cider. Some wine yeasts can ferment the cider well below the 1.00 mark.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:16 AM   #8
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Any yeast will ferment out the fermentable sugars in apple juice, if left to its own devices for long enough time. Ale yeasts are easier to control and stop before they eat all the sugar and there are several ways to do that. I am partial to cold crashing and kegging. If you are bottling, I believe that bottle pasteurization is probably more reliable for making a good sparkling cider on the first try. Both are described in the stickies

As far as which ale yeast to use, Brupaks, S04, US05 and Notty are my favorites. Any of these will make a good pub cider. For best flavor, same rule applies as for beer - the better the starting juice, the better the final product. If you can get good cider apples, that is ideal.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #9
baddagger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleKevin View Post
Any yeast will ferment out the fermentable sugars in apple juice, if left to its own devices for long enough time. Ale yeasts are easier to control and stop before they eat all the sugar and there are several ways to do that. I am partial to cold crashing and kegging. If you are bottling, I believe that bottle pasteurization is probably more reliable for making a good sparkling cider on the first try. Both are described in the stickies

As far as which ale yeast to use, Brupaks, S04, US05 and Notty are my favorites. Any of these will make a good pub cider. For best flavor, same rule applies as for beer - the better the starting juice, the better the final product. If you can get good cider apples, that is ideal.
well i want to keg... i just bought a couple 5 gallon kegs and i plan on using them..

now just wondering sense it is my frist time making cider to make a sparkling cider.. do i need to use a certin yeast to get that.. or will any yeast do that?

also i was thinking about maybe trying to make a couple one gallon batches.. now if i do that can i just use the 1 gallon jug that apple cider comes in?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For me, 3711 made the best cider, I tried Notty and 05 previously, the 3711 cider was so good, i'll never use anything again. But thats just me

Mikeysab on untappd.

Quick Reply