Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Wedding cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #11
jaginger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmpower View Post
use straight apple juice with s-04. Should be able to get it for about $4 per gallon. If you want to raise the AVB use apple juice concentrate.

Use around 30oz per 6 gallons of concentrate to sweeten.
+1 on the S-04. Best yeast for easy-drinking cider.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 04:14 AM   #12
Brewster2256
Recipes 

Still making the cider, but decided to add an ale or two.

Bought 10 gallons of apple juice w/o preservatives, 4 cans of apple concentrate and a white labs cider yeast. Threw in 1/2 ounce of yeast nutrient, 4lbs of sucrose and juiced a lemon. Fermenting in a ~11 gallon trash can as we speak.
Initial gravity: 1.07

What do you guys think of the label?

Old 06-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts

Looks really good, recipe and label.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:24 AM   #14
Brewster2256
Recipes 

The cider is now bottled in 1 gallon growlers (which despite any debate involved in their use, seem to hold their Co2 and pressure fine), and has ~1.00 gravity. They came out pretty dry, and due to the type of apple juice I used, didn't come out with a lot of flavor. To compensate for the lack of flavor, and to both carbonate it and sweeten it, I thought of adding apple concentrate to each of the growlers a few days before the wedding, allowing the yeast to metabolize a partial amount of sugar, while still leaving a considerable amount of residual sweetness.

Now my question is concerning the amount of apple concentrate juice to use, and how long prior to the wedding it should be added to end up with an eventual medium between sweetness and Co2. The wedding is on August 1st.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #15
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster2256 View Post
The cider is now bottled in 1 gallon growlers (which despite any debate involved in their use, seem to hold their Co2 and pressure fine), and has ~1.00 gravity. They came out pretty dry, and due to the type of apple juice I used, didn't come out with a lot of flavor. To compensate for the lack of flavor, and to both carbonate it and sweeten it, I thought of adding apple concentrate to each of the growlers a few days before the wedding, allowing the yeast to metabolize a partial amount of sugar, while still leaving a considerable amount of residual sweetness.

Now my question is concerning the amount of apple concentrate juice to use, and how long prior to the wedding it should be added to end up with an eventual medium between sweetness and Co2. The wedding is on August 1st.
I'd be weary of adding extra fermentables only a few days before the wedding. Doing so might rouse a lot of the yeast and you could end up with a cloudy and yeasty tasting cider. Personally I'd just hit it with campden tablets and add the concentrate to taste before bottling and sticking it in the fridge. You wouldn't have a sparkling cider (forgive me if that was one of the original criteria) although you'd have a very palatable still cider with an alcoholic content to boot!

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 06-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #16
Brewster2256
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMac View Post
I'd be weary of adding extra fermentables only a few days before the wedding. Doing so might rouse a lot of the yeast and you could end up with a cloudy and yeasty tasting cider. Personally I'd just hit it with campden tablets and add the concentrate to taste before bottling and sticking it in the fridge. You wouldn't have a sparkling cider (forgive me if that was one of the original criteria) although you'd have a very palatable still cider with an alcoholic content to boot!
Was hoping for some sparkle, otherwise your idea sounds great.
How about racking it a couple times before the addition of more concentrate?

Quick Reply