Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > We Need A Condensed Thread To The Point - This one

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #11
Devo9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton
Luckily all the answers are already in Papper's pasteurization sticky thread.

UncaMarc, I've followed a number of your threads here and I think this post finally explains why you're having so much trouble. A forum is not a beginners guide to making cider. Rather, it's a tool best at discussing specific aspect and techniques of cider making. These topics are difficult to piece together without an overall understanding of the basic process and how they relate. First one needs to grasp the fundamentals of cidermaking and fermentation and then delve into the minutia and detail.

Take time to read and understand an overall guide such as http://makinghardcider.com/ or buy either of the books by Anne Proulx or Ben Watson. Then come back here and search/ask for more info to flesh out your knowledge.
Currently HBT is taking submissions for brew related articles. I bet you it won't be long before there is an article section that will cover most of the common issues that new brewers have. Hold on tight, it's going to be one hell of a ride!

So who wants to edit my 1/10 complete HBT cider book when I get it done.... or... errrr.... partly done? lol (couldn't resist)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
UncaMarc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton View Post

UncaMarc, I've followed a number of your threads here and I think this post finally explains why you're having so much trouble. A forum is not a beginners guide to making cider. Rather, it's a tool best at discussing specific aspect and techniques of cider making. These topics are difficult to piece together without an overall understanding of the basic process and how they relate. First one needs to grasp the fundamentals of cidermaking and fermentation and then delve into the minutia and detail.

Take time to read and understand an overall guide such as http://makinghardcider.com/ or buy either of the books by Anne Proulx or Ben Watson. Then come back here and search/ask for more info to flesh out your knowledge.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've looked at the link you sent but didn't see where rank arrogance was a necessary ingredient to successful cider making.

You might think that a forum is limited to those who already know so much that they only come here to show off, but for some of us who read many of the threads (like me) my suggestion was simply that sometimes it is a good idea to TTT a concise guide for certain techniques.

Unlike some people I have traveled quite a bit to visit cideries. I have studied a number of methods. I have read several books and I have quite a bit of cider in various phases of production.

In addition I have also finished a few gallons and served them to guests with a very high approval rating.

Sometimes I ask questions to spark discussion or to help others.

I appreciate your info, just not your tone.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm sorry if my post came of as arrogant, that was definitely not my intention. Rather, I was agreeing with you that due to it's format and way of operation a forum is better at answering specific question as opposed to providing a general introduction of the topic whereas there do exist other mediums which do in a more organized fashion.

Personally, I think it would be cool to have a flow-chart style guide to making cider with yes/no questions based on goals and equipment.

for example:
Do you want to make a sweet, sparkling cider? - Yes
Do you have a kegging system? - No
Do you want to use unfermetable sugars? - No
Do you have a pot big enough to pasteurize bottles in? - Yes

With each choice having a link to a guide to that particular technique and maybe a pro/con list for things like coldcrashing V. Pasteurizing.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
UncaMarc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton View Post
I'm sorry if my post came of as arrogant, that was definitely not my intention. Rather, I was agreeing with you that due to it's format and way of operation a forum is better at answering specific question as opposed to providing a general introduction of the topic whereas there do exist other mediums which do in a more organized fashion.

Personally, I think it would be cool to have a flow-chart style guide to making cider with yes/no questions based on goals and equipment.

for example:
Do you want to make a sweet, sparkling cider? - Yes
Do you have a kegging system? - No
Do you want to use unfermetable sugars? - No
Do you have a pot big enough to pasteurize bottles in? - Yes

With each choice having a link to a guide to that particular technique and maybe a pro/con list for things like coldcrashing V. Pasteurizing.
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a good idea. Want to work on it together? We can divide up duties, scour the forum and maybe create that helpful checklist/flow chart.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaMarc View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a good idea. Want to work on it together? We can divide up duties, scour the forum and maybe create that helpful checklist/flow chart.
Absolutely I'd be in for helping. Been considering writing an article on cider for the site, but it's hard to decide where to start and what exactly to cover. Especially hard since there is rarely a 'best' answer, due to all the variables in ingredients, equipment, & motivation etc.

If you want to try to pin down a focus we could build on that.

Quick Reply