Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > A way to make hard Feijoa Cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #31
waxer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ill probably use the wine method for removing the feijoa juice without fermenting. Then either add to secondary or primary depending on what I happen to have available at the time. Got some fresh pressed cider brewing now so Im tempted to add some to make 5l and let it go again.
The wine recipes leave the feijoa in pectic enzyme (acids etc) for 3 days then strain before adding yeast.
I have a bunch thrown in whole (peeled) in a mead right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #32
roganjoshd
Recipes 

ah yes... I had an Old Mout Feijoa and Cider last weekend and was at first bemused that it was called "Feijoa and Cider" but understand better now.
Also, I think technically you cannot create a feijoa cider as it is not an apple!

I'll have to look up a feijoa wine recipe and see if it is worth the hassle to combine with an apple cider base.

cheers!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #33
waxer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Got 15L of fresh pressed apple juice tonight and a few bags of feijoas given to me so im restricted by timing. I dont have anything spare to make the wine in right now so ill prepare the juice as above and get my cider on now. Then combine in three days once most the solids are racked off the feijoa juice.
Might add just a bit of honey as well as it should go very nice with feijoa.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #34
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxer View Post
Got 15L of fresh pressed apple juice tonight and a few bags of feijoas given to me so im restricted by timing. I dont have anything spare to make the wine in right now so ill prepare the juice as above and get my cider on now. Then combine in three days once most the solids are racked off the feijoa juice.
Might add just a bit of honey as well as it should go very nice with feijoa.
My experience has been that the honey will ferment almost entirely and is hard to detect in small amounts. It has left the final product proportionately drier than without the honey and upped ABV but it's been difficult to retain any of the honey character. My favorite method for adding honey to ciders is to use honey as the priming sugar during bottling then pasteurizing the cider once it's carbonated to my liking. You'll have to add more honey than would be necessary to carb the cider as you want some sweetness to remain at pasteurization. Just make sure you keep checking carbonation levels and pasteurize the cider as soon as it's to your liking or you'll have created many of zee bottle bombas. Good luck!

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

waxer Likes This 

Quick Reply