Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > A way to make hard Feijoa Cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #21
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can use the tap, but if there is too much sediment it will all clog up. I say try the tap first, if it's alright then just use that. If not, you can siphon with the piece of hosing anyway.

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #22
BoomerCreek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I will give the feijoia cider a whirl. I think they ripen in mid summer here. I'll pick a bunch and press them. I will try to put a posting up when I do this. Thanks for the inspiration Lazarescu.

Boomer Creek Cider Co.

"They speak of my drinking but they never think of my thirst." -Scottish Proverb

Old 05-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #23
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

"THREAD RESURRECTION"

I'm making something like this... with apple juice feijoa juice off the shelf, then feijoa flesh in secondary.

how did this one go in the end? did you need to add enzyme?
and how much yeast did you add?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How did this turn out? I just ordered 3 trees and will plant them next week. Probably won't get fruit for a couple years but I'm very curious.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
Lazarescu
Recipes 

Sorry for not updating this. So, I can;t remember what I wrote, but I ended up using 600 feijoas and about 6 litres of organic non-pasteurized apple juice as I could not get the thickness out of the feijoas.

But yeah, it didn't turn out that well. I put A LOT of sugar in it in the fermentation process (also, I couldn't read the AV because it was too thick) and more when I bottled it, but it turned out incredibly sour, pretty much undrinkable.

If anyone has any better luck that me, let me know! Maybe I should talk to the local company who actually make it (sans apple) successfully.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #26
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarescu View Post
Sorry for not updating this. So, I can;t remember what I wrote, but I ended up using 600 feijoas and about 6 litres of organic non-pasteurized apple juice as I could not get the thickness out of the feijoas.

But yeah, it didn't turn out that well. I put A LOT of sugar in it in the fermentation process (also, I couldn't read the AV because it was too thick) and more when I bottled it, but it turned out incredibly sour, pretty much undrinkable.

If anyone has any better luck that me, let me know! Maybe I should talk to the local company who actually make it (sans apple) successfully.
I tried the same thing, and its turned out pretty sour at the moment. been in a bottle for 3 months so far!

It definitely needs something, how old is your now? will try again in a month or so I'm hoping it'll mellow out a bit...?

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 04-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #27
roganjoshd
Recipes 

hey ho, its another feijoa season here in NZ!

I just signed up as I am thinking of attempting using feijoa to flavour a cider so I am wondering how the 2 brews above by Lazarescu and crusader1612 worked out?

Old 04-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #28
crusader1612
Recipes 

Meh mine didn't work out so well. But that's a process issue and I think I used too many feijoada lol. Mine are still aging good for marinade. Definitely worth a try

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #29
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've never tried a straight Feijoa cider but I had some Feijoa liquer at Purangi Winery in the Coromandel and MAN OH MAN was it ever good.

Anyways, Old Mout makes their Feijoa and Apple cider by blending Feijoa wine with cider so they can get the "ideal" final product without so much guess work. There are heaps of recipes for Feijoa wine online that are formulated to mellow out the tartness of the fruit and achieve a high ABV so they can be aged longer.

I was only in NZ for a year and never spent more than 6 months in one spot so I couldn't give it a go myself but I believe that blending would be the way to go here. At least that way you can treat the two components individually rather than trying to come to a compromise.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #30
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMac View Post
I've never tried a straight Feijoa cider but I had some Feijoa liquer at Purangi Winery in the Coromandel and MAN OH MAN was it ever good.

Anyways, Old Mout makes their Feijoa and Apple cider by blending Feijoa wine with cider so they can get the "ideal" final product without so much guess work. There are heaps of recipes for Feijoa wine online that are formulated to mellow out the tartness of the fruit and achieve a high ABV so they can be aged longer.

I was only in NZ for a year and never spent more than 6 months in one spot so I couldn't give it a go myself but I believe that blending would be the way to go here. At least that way you can treat the two components individually rather than trying to come to a compromise.
That explains why theirs tastes better than mine.....

Quick Reply