Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > A way to make hard Feijoa Cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The alcohol will thin it out (it's eating up all those sugars which are making it thick'. Don't doubt it, it sounds like what you've put into the fermenter is of pretty good quality which almost always spits out something drinkable +. Time to let it ride, let us know how it comes out!

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 03:16 AM   #12
Lazarescu
Recipes 

It's bubbling like crazy, maybe 5-10 second intervals!

Im gonna give it about 3 weeks and see how the bubbling is going. After I prime and bottle, how long should I keep it on the shelf before drinking?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:29 AM   #13
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Don't rely on airlock bubbling as a sole indicator of fermentation, use hydrometer readings as well to ensure your final product has fermented all of the sugars. You say you're were on a OG of 1.070? I'd give it at the very least a month in primary, and then transfer to a secondary until clear. I think you'll be looking at around 3 months if not more before bottling. It all depends on how it tastes when you finish your primary fermentation. I will hesitate a guess that it will come out sourish with not much apple/feijora taste with a slight alcohol heat to it. It will probably all mellow out in this time, patience is the key!

Secondary:

Old 04-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
Lazarescu
Recipes 

It was a very iffy 1.070. The pulp/juice mixture was so thick that the hydrometer had a hard time deciding where it wanted to stay. If I let if fall into the tube, it would not get down past about 1.050, if I pushed it all the way in and let it rise out, it sat at 1.035, which is where I calculated my sugar amounts from. I did use a beer/wine table to make the sugar quantity decision though, could that change anything?

Do I need to add anything in the transfer to the second fermenter/carboy?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm not sure, I hardly ever use a hydrometer and just go to taste (no one else other than the gf drinks my brews, so I don't have to worry). It should be about right. Maybe a good idea is to give it a swish in the fermenter (with the lid on) and see if it is still thick, if it is, add some pectic enzyme.

On the transfer you can add different flavours if you're not happy, I would say maybe a bit more feijora juice, but I'm not sure how it's going to ferment out in the first place. If you think it needs anything, just add it in. You could also add the pectic enzyme at this stage alternatively, but you risk it being too thick to siphon if you don't add it earlier (that's only if it's still thick).

Secondary:

Old 05-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #16
BoomerCreek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey Laza, give us an update on the taste of this stuff. I have access to tons of them. I can only eat so many but I bet i could drink more.

Boomer Creek Cider Co.

"They speak of my drinking but they never think of my thirst." -Scottish Proverb

Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #17
Lazarescu
Recipes 

It's still sitting in the primary - I need to take it out but I'm waiting on a new hydrometer before I do.

BoomerCreek: I rekcon you should just go for it. Have you tried the Mount Feijoa and Apple Cider? It's pretty good.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

How'd the consistancy end up? I'd say you'd be right to transfer to a secondary now if you have one.

Secondary:

Old 05-18-2011, 05:09 AM   #19
BoomerCreek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I haven't ever tried any type of feijoa juice. There is just a huge planting of them near my work and I pick them when they are ripe.

Boomer Creek Cider Co.

"They speak of my drinking but they never think of my thirst." -Scottish Proverb

Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #20
Lazarescu
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmate View Post
How'd the consistancy end up? I'd say you'd be right to transfer to a secondary now if you have one.
I'm too scared to look! The fermenter is a beer one and not see through so it's hard to tell. Is it safe to take the lid off and check or should I just drain some from the tap? From what it looks like, there is a lot of sediment at the bottom.

So I siphon from primary to secondary or can I use the tap on the primary and a piece of hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerCreek
I haven't ever tried any type of feijoa juice. There is just a huge planting of them near my work and I pick them when they are ripe.
I didn't notice that you are in California. Here in NZ you can buy feijoa juice off the shelf and there are a number of breweries that make feijoa and apple cider commercially. Some bars also make pure feijoa cider (which is what I was initally trying to emulate).

Quick Reply