The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > washing apples for wild yeast cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
timmy_appleseed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default washing apples for wild yeast cider

If I were to pick an apple from the tree, and wash it, could i still use the wild yeast from the apples skin to make a good batch of wild yeast apple cider?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You could do this:

Peel half the apple and put the skin in a 24-32 oz plastic bottle filled 1/2 with apple juice, shake and cap it. Wash the other half of the apple and do the same in a separate bottle. Check daily as the bottles could bloat and make a mess; degas as needed. You may want to try this w/several apples and bottles for better results. Keep them in a cool dark place and practice good sanitation with everything.

After a week or two, smell the juice (actually, when you degas you can get a good smell). Any mold, bad smell, etc might mean skip the labor and use a packet of yeast. If it started to ferment (pressure build up), smells like cider, and looks good, then you can pitch it as a starter. I’d start off doing 1 gal batches in the beginning… pitching the above into 1 gal of apple juice.

I’ve never done this but have always wanted to try it. Post your results, good luck

Old 02-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy_appleseed View Post
If I were to pick an apple from the tree, and wash it, could i still use the wild yeast from the apples skin to make a good batch of wild yeast apple cider?
Yes, there is yeast inside the apple as well as on the skin. It may not result in a good cider however.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
Scottkb
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

You should definitely be careful with this, as Fructose and pectins can lead to larger amounts of methanol production, especially with a poorly attenuating yeast strain and a chance for infection. Methanol is turned into formaldehyde in the liver and then destroys the optic nerve. It takes a large amount of this, however I think the conditions you are describing would favor larger methanol production. So don't drink all of it in one night, unless u hVe the ability to raise the temp up to about 172 or so and get rid of it....

-Scott B

Old 02-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkb View Post
You should definitely be careful with this, as Fructose and pectins can lead to larger amounts of methanol production, especially with a poorly attenuating yeast strain and a chance for infection. Methanol is turned into formaldehyde in the liver and then destroys the optic nerve. It takes a large amount of this, however I think the conditions you are describing would favor larger methanol production. So don't drink all of it in one night, unless u hVe the ability to raise the temp up to about 172 or so and get rid of it....
Wow, I was not aware; apparently adding pectin enzyme, fermenting at a high temperature, and aiming for an abv above 12% increases the risk of methanol production. Also, some fruit juices are naturally high in methanol (apple juice can have 0.2-0.3% while juice from pulp can be 2 to 3 times higher).

Though the negligible amount produced and its effect is arguable, I’ll keep a stricter eye on temps and research more on using wild / weaker yeast strains. Thanks for the post Scottkb

Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

i CAnn stil se

Old 02-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Nogmaals
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Heard that methanol is not really an issue in the amounts possible when cider brewing. It's even naturally present in small amounts in fruit apparently. Probably not a bad idea to have a dedicated thread to it somewhere, even if just to take away people's concerns.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Lol, methanol fears. These seem to pop up every now and then. Completely unfounded for two reasons:

1) Cider has minimal methanol in it, even using pectic enzyme and high temps the ratio of ethanol and methanol is such that the ethanol would poison you long before the methanol reached dangerous levels.

2) Ethanol and methanol are competitively inhibitory in your system, meaning ethanol actually reduces the toxicity of methanol. Ethanol is in fact used in the treatment of methanol poisoning.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
i CAnn stil se
Thanks to your coke bottle glasses!

Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton
Lol, methanol fears. These seem to pop up every now and then. Completely unfounded for two reasons:

1) Cider has minimal methanol in it, even using pectic enzyme and high temps the ratio of ethanol and methanol is such that the ethanol would poison you long before the methanol reached dangerous levels.

2) Ethanol and methanol are competitively inhibitory in your system, meaning ethanol actually reduces the toxicity of methanol. Ethanol is in fact used in the treatment of methanol poisoning.
If I ever go blind (from methanol or otherwise)... my remedy will be ethanol too .. lots and lots of ethanol.

Quick Reply