Originally Posted by kamkamdac
im still new to brewing so im learning as i go and have a question for you guys.
i made a batch of apfelwien variation and tried some the other day and its very acidic. it taste grate, just like apple juice with body, but it tore the crap out of my tong. i had 3 bottles 2 days ago and haven't been able to drink anymore since because my tong still has swollen taste buds and still hurts. gives me mild hart burn too and i almost never get heart burn from anything.
has anyone else had this problem with apfelwien?
i read that the acid is borken up naturally in a second fermentation by some type of bacteria, but since the applejuice is pasteurized i would assume all the bacteria would be dead.
most importantly, will this go away with age?
There is no more acid in your apfelwein than was in the apple juice you fermented. If you think it's too acidic, you actually do have a couple of options:
#1: Just let it age, some acid(s) will actually age out, but it takes a while, like a year or two.
#2: Use calcium carbonate to reduce the acid in your brew.
#3: Backsweeten & stabilize.
#4: You could try a malolactic fermentation or (for future brews) use Lalvin 71-B yeast to reduce the malic acid inyour juice/must.
Hope some of this info helps.