Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > very acidic cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
kamkamdac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default very acidic cider

im still new to brewing so im learning as i go and have a question for you guys.

i made a batch of apfelwien variation and tried some the other day and its very acidic. it taste grate, just like apple juice with body, but it tore the crap out of my tong. i had 3 bottles 2 days ago and haven't been able to drink anymore since because my tong still has swollen taste buds and still hurts. gives me mild hart burn too and i almost never get heart burn from anything.

has anyone else had this problem with apfelwien?

i read that the acid is borken up naturally in a second fermentation by some type of bacteria, but since the applejuice is pasteurized i would assume all the bacteria would be dead.

most importantly, will this go away with age?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I've had the same problem. Did your juice have vitamin C added? I used to use Motts with vitamin C added and it was horribly acidic after fermentation. I started using Kirkland brand with no vitamin C and it seems to be easier on the old stomach. There is also a wine yeast - cant remember the name - but it's a Lavlin, that's supposed to cut the acidity by about 10%. I'll check my notes.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
kamkamdac
Recipes 

ya, it had ascorbic acid (vitamin C) as an additive, witch probably adds to the acidity.

i used the same apple juice that the apfelwien recipe recommended to use and im assuming most apfelwien brewers use apple juice with ascorbic acid as an additive but ive never heard any one say anything about an unusual high acidity.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
divi2323
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Malolactic fermentation turns malic acid into a softer lactic acid. There are ways to encourage it such as introducing the right bacteria culture into your mix after fermentation has finished or letting it age a bit on its lees.

If I want to soften my cider, I've used oak chips in my secondary but it also adds an earthly flavor.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 744 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamkamdac View Post
im still new to brewing so im learning as i go and have a question for you guys.

i made a batch of apfelwien variation and tried some the other day and its very acidic. it taste grate, just like apple juice with body, but it tore the crap out of my tong. i had 3 bottles 2 days ago and haven't been able to drink anymore since because my tong still has swollen taste buds and still hurts. gives me mild hart burn too and i almost never get heart burn from anything.

has anyone else had this problem with apfelwien?

i read that the acid is borken up naturally in a second fermentation by some type of bacteria, but since the applejuice is pasteurized i would assume all the bacteria would be dead.

most importantly, will this go away with age?
There is no more acid in your apfelwein than was in the apple juice you fermented. If you think it's too acidic, you actually do have a couple of options:

#1: Just let it age, some acid(s) will actually age out, but it takes a while, like a year or two.

#2: Use calcium carbonate to reduce the acid in your brew.

#3: Backsweeten & stabilize.

#4: You could try a malolactic fermentation or (for future brews) use Lalvin 71-B yeast to reduce the malic acid inyour juice/must.

Hope some of this info helps.
Regards, GF.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #6
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 172

For malolactic fermentation do you need to inoculate with malolactic bacteria culture or does it occur spontaneously given enough time for maturation?

Quick Reply