Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Varietal juice at wally world

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
Tekn0ph1sh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeeeah. My feelings exactly. I used to get homestyle or a little pulp in my OJ but not anymore. Unless it's freshly squeezed and I squeezed it or watched it being squeezed.

It wonder how many apples you would need to flavor a batch of cider with your favorite varietal. I heard it was something like 150 apples per gallon of juice. But you could use Wally World generic apple juice and press or juice a few of your favorite kind into the batch.

Ah I was wrong. It's 36 apples per gallon 14-16 lbs. I guess the 150 was me remembering how many for a 5 gallon batch lol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #22
WSB-MBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 31

first things first - Honeycrisp is the best variety out there

I just wish it wasn't available only in the fall.

My wife is a big-time juicer so I may simply buy some nice, organic fruits, juice them up and use that for a cider experiment. for those without juicers - you can always take some fruit to a smoothie/juice store in the mall or something and slip the kid working there a few bucks if they'll juice em up for ya.
just a thought..

Old 11-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #23
tealio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bought close to 20 gallons of this juice total. Thought I was going to get stopped at the door just because it looked so odd rolling out cases of this stuff.

They are 1 month in primary, in 3 different carboys. They tasted different when I tasted side by side when I pitched. Had different gravities between varieties, too. Tasted them when I pulled a little of each off to blend into a 2.5 gal batch, and they again tasted different. I'd have to look at my notes to see what I liked best. All rocketed to almost 8% ABV with a small table sugar addition in a week.

I use champagne yeast and various sugars to get store bought-made hard cider up to 15 %ABV. In a keg it keeps forever, I always add a tad of winemakers acid blend and back sweeten with various fresh apple juices, natural flavorings, frozen concentrate. Its amazing what Simply Apple adds when in secondary and cold crash.

Unfortunately, when I went two weeks later to buy more, it was gone. Seems like they only had 1 pallet here in Dallas.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
ThreeSheetsBrewing
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeycrisp

Try aging a few Honeycrisp apples in a cool, dry & reasonably dark place for a couple weeks. Eat them when the skin is just starting to wrinkle. They taste like an awesome sweet cider & are just bursting with flavour. Earlier than that & they taste like a very good eating apple, I love the crunch & flavour.
Regards, GF.
Ski-U-Mah baby!

Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #25
RealFloopyGuy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Price dropped to $1.50 today.

Also, I made some quick cider with a few of them. You can definitely taste the different flavors post fermentation. The granny smith gave it a definite aftertaste that reminded me of Bulmers aftertaste.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #26
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 11

What dropped to $1.50? Which one?

Old 11-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #27
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I got some decent cider at wally world this past week. 4.50 $ /gal. Jug says its from Vermont.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #28
RealFloopyGuy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Gallons of cider dropped to 4. The varietal juices went to 150. I used the varietal ones to prime and backsweeten a gallon or two so far. The granny smith is definitely tastable after fermentation.

Quick Reply