Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Vanilla Beans

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
placervilledan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Vanilla Beans

I put a vanilla bean in a gallon of cider that had been in secondary for about a 1 1/2 mos. I started fermenting again. I think. Strange bubbles have appeared on the top, and the airlock has a small amount of activity. This is the first time I have used vanilla and don't know what to expect. Does the vanilla bean have enough sugar to start it all over again?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
beala
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

According to a website I found (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=175) there's no calories or sugar in a vanilla bean, so I'm guessing it wasn't additional sugar in the bean that restarted it. My guess would be maybe the fermentation was stuck, and adding the beans stirred things up enough to restart it. Another possibility is some of the CO2 stored in the liquid was released when you poured the beans in. Not to scare you, but my third guess would be an infection. How did you clean the beans before adding? Anyway, the best clue to solve this mystery would probably be a gravity reading.

Last edited by beala; 02-06-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
placervilledan
Recipes 

Well,
I didn't clean the beans. The supposedly came in a sterile foil package. I was told to drop one right in. If it is infected, it is only a gallon, and not the greatest tasting stuff at that (pretty bland juice with a dry ale yeast). Hence the vanilla to try and help it out.

Quick Reply