Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Using redhot candies in place of sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 55 Posts

Default Using redhot candies in place of sugar

Found a recipe for a cider I would like to try and was wondering if I might try and use redhots candy melted down in place of the sugar the recipe calls for. One cup would be added to a chilled secondary two weeks after cider has cleared up, followed by bottling. Any concerns or go for it?
My great grandma used to use redhots in her homemade applesauce and I thought I could try it in a cider.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 05:17 AM   #2
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

i would do a small batch to test it, as that does not sound that appealing to me, but could be exactly what you are looking for

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

i was thinking a sweet cinnamony taste, but i see what your saying.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

the recipe would not let on to their "secret ingredient" that was to go into the batch at this point in the process, they said to substitute "the secret" with 1 cup sugar boil with 1/2 cup water, thats where i was thinking "redhots?"

Old 10-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

is there a cinamony taste?

the secret ingredient could be candi sugar, or turbinado, or belgian brown candi sugar...

red hots have a pretty distinct flavor, and I say this because i work at a liquor store, and get to sample every crazy flavor whatever that comes in, and I can't say that whenever red hots come into the conversation that it is a good thing

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
kurtism
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

many people do add cinnamon to their apple ciders because the flavor of apples and cinnamon are a classic pairing, so i think it might taste pretty good. i like red hots. i like apple juice. i like ethanol. i'd drink a cup!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

Plus it might add some color. I'm going to try it.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAREEBROWNBEEST
Plus it might add some color. I'm going to try it.

Maybe add some goldschlager! Naa.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2696 Times on 1901 Posts
Likes Given: 1607

I had a cider with redhots 2 years ago at a homebrew party in Grand Rapids, and it was AWESOME! I think they dumped what sounded like a whole lot of them in the fermenter and they gave the cider a cool red color, and the flavor was not really hot at all. The cinnamon flavor was apparent, but not strong.

I was very pleasantly surprised. Frankly, when he described it, and after having him pour some for me, I was pretty leery. But it tasted great!

I'm thinking about adding some to a mead I made that really needs some adjustment.

EDIT: You know on second thought, that stuff I tasted at the homebrew party may have been a mead, not a cider. It was two years ago and it WAS a HOMEBREW party... cut me some slack! LOL!

I also had a bourbon oak mead that was incredible...

Old 10-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal
I had a cider with redhots 2 years ago at a homebrew party in Grand Rapids, and it was AWESOME! I think they dumped what sounded like a whole lot of them in the fermenter and they gave the cider a cool red color, and the flavor was not really hot at all. The cinnamon flavor was apparent, but not strong.

I was very pleasantly surprised. Frankly, when he described it, and after having him pour some for me, I was pretty leery. But it tasted great!

I'm thinking about adding some to a mead I made that really needs some adjustment.

EDIT: You know on second thought, that stuff I tasted at the homebrew party may have been a mead, not a cider. It was two years ago and it WAS a HOMEBREW party... cut me some slack! LOL!

I also had a bourbon oak mead that was incredible...
Nice! Your forgiven. I guess the sugars that are in the cider itself is what the yeast are consuming? Would adding the redhots in this part of the fern process create more alcohol? I planned on adding them to the end. What do you think? Add at both or just stick to the end addition. Doubling might be a little overwhelming I think.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS