The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Using Lemon Juice with preservatives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
evhershey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using Lemon Juice with preservatives

I just made some small test batches (3 quarts each) and, to one of them, I added 1 qt. of lemon juice. The lemon juice contained preservatives (Sodium Bisulphate and Sodium Benzoate). I know this was a risk and that's why I am doing test batces but I still thought I would get some fermentation. I assumed the preservatives would slow fermentation or prevent the lemon from fermenting completely but I have nothing happening with my apple and lemon batch

I made 3 test batches all started form the same Montrachet yeast starter and 2 of them are bubbling quite steadily while my batch with the preservative laden lemon juice is just dead.

Is there anything that can be done to rescue this? Any way to boost it or remove the preservatives next time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
PAC762
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've heard that heating the juice can help remove preservatives.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
etp777
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sodium Benzoate, like potassium sorbate, keeps yeast from reproducing. So you need to make a giant starter if you want to get it going. THis gives enough yeast from start (hopefully) to ferment out sugar. I will be doing same thing here it looks like, since lemon juice I got to try Jack Keller's skeeter pee recipe turns out to have sodium benzoate in it.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:13 AM   #4
petes
Recipes 

On another forum I've seen frequent references to boiling (for 15 minutes or so) whatever has preservative contained, cool then use.
I've tried it, no problem.

What puzzles me is I don't ever recall seeing the process advocated here?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
babbott
Recipes 

i just bottled a gall9on of Arizona green tea that i fermented from 1.070 to 1.005. I added a tsp of lemon with the same preservatives, when i backsweenened. i never boiled the lemon juice. will the remaining sugars be fermented further or will the preservatives stop the fermentation

Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 AM   #6
JoeSponge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Heyyyy Babbott!
Hm... never heard of that. Whatever possessed you to do that? What's it taste like?

I came across a recipe called "Skeeter Pee" that I'm going to try. The original is made w/ 3 or so bottles of "Real Lemon" lemon juice, w/ water and sugar added. I found some organic lemonade at Whole Foods for $4/gallon (on par w/ the apple juice I try), and I'm going to try to make SP w/ that.

Oh my gosh, but cider's neat.
Taste's so sweet, it can't be beat.
Good in the cold or in the heat.
Oh my gosh, but cider's neat!

Old 07-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #7
babbott
Recipes 

so i tried the fermented Arizona iced tea concoction. there was good carbonation, but the tea flavor was just about gone. tasted like a hard lemonade not a bad drink after a hot day

Old 07-24-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
Emyrs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petes View Post
On another forum I've seen frequent references to boiling (for 15 minutes or so) whatever has preservative contained, cool then use.
I've tried it, no problem.

What puzzles me is I don't ever recall seeing the process advocated here?
Boiling lemon juice can produce bad flavors.. ask any chef... instead of a fresh lemon taste you get a cooked out mellow flavor... something about the way the juice breaks down with heat...

If your planning on trying a boil... try a small bit first.. like a cup or two... boil it and see if its taste is still to your liking...

me personally.. ive never really liked cooked lemon.. unless it were in a cake

Primary - N/A
Secondary - N/A
Kegged - "nothing atreyu, nothing."

Beer and Brewing Photos

Old 10-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #9
Captive
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You can use the bottled lemon juice, preservatives and all. It does take some special steps though. You can find all the details where the recipe is posted. http://www.skeeterpee.com

Old 10-30-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 863 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 1917

Or squeeze some fresh lemons?

I have to admit that I'm puzzled by the desire (here and in other threads) to somehow try overcome preservatives, which are added precisely to stop what we're trying to do. There are things you can do, but the results will be spotty at best - you will almost surely have stressed yeast and all that comes with that. Using juice without preservatives is just so much easier and better.

Quick Reply