The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Unpasteurized juice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
GrizzlyGremlin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh lol i didnt know you meant you were "buying" unpasturized cider! I totally thought u were crushing and pressing apples. Fresh pressed juice has never done me wrong. Sure must be a bummer to not have all the fruit you can ever pick for Free!!! Grind n press Grind n press Chyup!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
Tmbrcat
Recipes 

Wild yes problem turned the juice bright yellow and stinky durning fermentation. I do buy fresh and refrigerated juice straight from the farmer but I still have to pay. Lol
Wishing for some land for an orchard!!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
Tmbrcat
Recipes 

Thanks for all the input. 5 gals in the fermenter for 5 days now. Loos and smells awesome. I didn't use campden tablets just a yeast starter. Yeast activity and bubbling at 5 hours.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #14
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

FYI, modern flash pasteurization does little to inhibit wild yeast, and UV even less, which is why you see so much fresh juice with sorbate and benzoate added as a fermentation inhibitor and why fresh juice is stored chilled. The goal is to kill off most bugs that could potentially harm humans, e-coli being a good example.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
Ahade
Recipes 

Need help

I left 5 gallons of cider out in our basement for 5 days (sealed in 1 gallon containers). The basement is about 65 degrees. The cider has been fermenting on its own and all the containers were bulging out. I put it all in my 5 gallon bucket "as is" and added a package of 4766 cider wyeast. Will the yeast I added take over the wild yeast? Should I have any concerns about the cider? It was fresh from the orchard and only uv treated.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
Albionwood
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Today, I made 3 gallons of cider (not hard cider, just cider!)
You mean apple juice!

(Srsly, this Prohibition-era confusion over what "cider" means has got to end... we could just rejoin the rest of the civilized world and use "cider" to mean only the fermented product)

Old 11-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albionwood View Post
You mean apple juice!

(Srsly, this Prohibition-era confusion over what "cider" means has got to end... we could just rejoin the rest of the civilized world and use "cider" to mean only the fermented product)
I agree! But in our supermarkets, what is sold as "apple juice" is nothing like the taste of fresh pressed, from-the-farm "cider" that tastes the way apple juice is supposed to.

My grandson, after helping crush and press, went into the house to taste the juice. His face lit up, and he exclaimed, "This is so good!" He is three years old, and used to store bought apple juice.

I think it would be harder to describe apple juice made the way we did to most Americans used to Mott's! But using the words "fresh cider" means the good stuff.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
Albionwood
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

We could just call it "fresh pressed juice" to distinguish from the filtered, processed stuff. I think that would be less confusing.

Calling apple juice "cider" is like calling wort "beer" or grape must "wine." (I suppose we could call it "apple must" by analogy, but of course the supermarkets would hate that.)

Quick Reply