The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Unlimited apples, but no press or juicer :(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
HoboBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Unlimited apples, but no press or juicer :(

I have a ton of apple but no way of juicing them. I am considering buying a cheap 50 dollar juicer, but from what everyone is saying a press or an expensive cold press juicer is needed to properly extract most of the juice. Any advice on this? Can I get away with a cheap juicer? Has anyone had success with a particular model?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
jmayerl
Recipes 

You will burn out a juicer the first time you use it for any large amount of cider. I build a press from 2x4's and some scrapes, and used a modified garbage disposal as a grinder. Less than $100 and you can press out about 10 gallons in an hour. After a few changes this year I should be able to double that.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Rent one from your LHBS. We have one in town that rents out their press.

Primary: Yooper_Brew's Dead Guy Clone, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter
Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale, Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
CGish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayerl View Post
You will burn out a juicer the first time you use it for any large amount of cider. I build a press from 2x4's and some scrapes, and used a modified garbage disposal as a grinder. Less than $100 and you can press out about 10 gallons in an hour. After a few changes this year I should be able to double that.
Any chance of some pictures or plans? Sounds interesting.
Brewing is science, math, chemistry, biochemics, horticulture and culinary arts rolled into one, yet comes out to become a beautiful smooth sensual thing that brings out the idiot in everyone! - kybar

Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

i agree with the build or rent a press suggestions but disagree that a juicer will burn out, i am still going on the cheapest model i could find after 3 years of improbably large cider volumes. you can't tell the difference between the finished product from a press or juicer (i have done side by side tests with the same apples), but the juicers are less efficient than a good press by about half, and do take a while to process the apples, they get clogged, you have to cut the apples, etc. but if you have space limitations and loads of fruit they can do the job

Old 05-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

There are many different press pictures and plans online if you search. One of the cheapest is to buy a cheap hydraulic bottle jack from Harbor Freight or some other discount tools source, and bolt together a stout frame to handle the pressure.

Get a thick press plate under it and wrap your apple mush in some straining cloth (the proper type can be found by searching cider sites as well) and collecting the juice.

Or you can buy or build a more sophisticated apparatus with a slotted press bucket, but honestly they all make juice.

Some people have used a NEW garbage disposal for chewing up the apples prior to squeezing.

Building a cider press was supposed to be one fun summer project for me for the past couple of years, but I haven't got round to it. I have 2 screws capable of pressing ready for a frame to go into.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

Don't forget the garden shredder for scratting. I have put a few tonnes of apples through my shredder, makes a great apple mill. Some commercial apple mills are just shredders built with stainless steel.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
HoboBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks guys. I was thinking about it and it will probably cost me about 100 dollars to make a press(although it would be a fun project). For that price I could buy more than enough dirt cheap cider locally in the fall and make hard cider from that. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
drew1d
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboBrewing View Post
Thanks guys. I was thinking about it and it will probably cost me about 100 dollars to make a press(although it would be a fun project). For that price I could buy more than enough dirt cheap cider locally in the fall and make hard cider from that. Thanks.
Totally agree with you. Making it from your own apples is cool, but for the cost of the press, you can just buy the cider.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1d

Totally agree with you. Making it from your own apples is cool, but for the cost of the press, you can just buy the cider.
And if you have a cider mill or three nearby that caters to home brewers it's a home run. One near me actually does a brew press one sat a month with varietals perfect for hard cider and another even closer sells to home brewers with a container for only a few $ per gal.

Quick Reply