New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Types of ginger...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 1261

Default Types of ginger...

Greetings all, since my intended end product is more like a cider than anything else, I posted here. The question: What (if any) are the differences in taste between candied ginger, crystalized ginger (a form of candied) and fresh ginger in an apfelwein-type of hard cider? I know the sugar in the 2 kinds of candied will add to the ABV, but I'm wondering if the flavours will be as different as belgian candy sugar vs white cane sugar, or maybe a better example would be brown cane sugar vs white cane sugar. If anyone has experimented with these, I'd appreciate some info on the flavour profiles, GF.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Recipes 

Guess nobody knows... It was worth a shot. EDIT: Nice to see a few responses, thx!

Last edited by gratus fermentatio; 09-08-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Nerro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, the candied varieties of ginger will have less of the spicynes that would otherwise be present. Perhaps a gingerwine made using fresh ginger will have a bit more of a bite to it. As far as the sugaring goes, you can always adjust the amount of added sugar make for some standardized ABV.

Maybe it's fun to try using all three and comparing.

"It has served us well, this myth of [guess who]."
- Pope Leo X

Old 09-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Recipes 

Thanks, I was sorta thinking the same thing, but it's good to have a second or 3rd opinion on these things. Regards, GF.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Freezeblade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

And I thought this was going to be a thread about the different varietys of ginger, like the hawaiian blue ginger, vs ganglal (sp), etc. I'd think that the candying process heats the ginger alot, so that would cause that front pallet "spicyness" to be replaced by the soft back pallet ginger flavor that is also caused when you boil ginger.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 09-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
gratus fermentatio
Recipes 

Freezeblade: A good & interesting point, your response was the catalyst for an idea: I might use both to sort of "round out" the ginger flavour. I was already thinking about using ginger in primary and secondary, but I don't want to overwhelm the apple flavours, just compliment them. Maybe just adding some fresh squeezed ginger juice at bottling. I'm not sure how much is fermentable in ginger juice, but in theory, those fermentables on top of the 3/4 cup priming sugar, should give me the sparkling nectar I was planning on putting into champagne bottles. Since I don't own a refractometer, I'll have to do a little research to see what I can see on that... Any ideas on the sugar content of fresh ginger? Regards, GF.

Quick Reply