Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Two types of yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
NineHundred
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Two types of yeast

I am considering using White Labs English Cider yeast for the primary fermentation of my cider and Côte des Blancs for the secondary fermentation. What do you guys think? I will probably add a few cups of sugar to the secondary fermentation just to give the yeast a little more of a chance to add their flavors. Also, any ideas on how I should go about removing the alcohol without altering the taste too much to make a non-alcoholic cider? And should I boil fresh pressed cider before I put the yeast in to kill wild yeasts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's some first post...why not just drink cider and NOT make alcohol out of it??

First, you should decide how strong of an alcohol you want it to be.

Second, take an Original Gravity reading and check it every day and decide where you want to stop the fermentation using Potassium Sorbate to retard the yeast from further fermentation.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 09-03-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
NineHundred
Recipes 

Because I definaely like the more bitter and sharpness of hard cider but not everyone in my family drinks and I still want them to be able to taste it. I will keep some hard and most likely distill some to remove the majority of the alchohol.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

I can't really think of a way to take out the alcohol in hard cider. The bitter and sharp taste are due to tannins and acids in the juice itself, which are usually covered up with all the sugar nauturally present in the juice, the fermenation take out all the sugars...The concept of dry non-alcoholic cider is beyond me, unless you can think of a way to remove sugar from apple juice...

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 09-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
tooomanycolors
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

could you make the cider then heat at ~150F, kinda like they make non alcholic beer?

Or am i way off?

Primary: Belgian Triple Braggot (6gallons), Lambic Braggot (6gallons), Habanero melomel(6gallons)

Secondary: Peach melomel (5 Gallons)

It seems like a FOX TV Show when a mead maker moves in with an AG brewer....They end up with **** like Lambic Braggot.
-BigKahuna

Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
NineHundred
Recipes 

Yes, I was considering going about it exactly the same way. You lose a bit of cider, but you also get rid of the alchohol. Thanks!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #7
lapaglia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineHundred View Post
Yes, I was considering going about it exactly the same way. You lose a bit of cider, but you also get rid of the alchohol. Thanks!
That will remove the alcohol (174 deg F) but it will change the flavor also. You may like it anyway.

Since Cider fully ferments in the primary whats the reason for the different yeast in the Secondary? Im sort of new but this seems like its much more involved than it needs to be.
On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone

Last edited by lapaglia; 09-03-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
NineHundred
Recipes 

Take a look at the recipe "Sour Diesel" under Cider and you will understand. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply