Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Turbo Cider or Runny Apple Water??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #31
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A few possibilities - either the bread yeast is not very alcohol tolerant, it all sunk to the bottom and got left behind on the racking, or else it got too warm and died.

Probably the latter, but if the former, it might be interesting to try again and use a little sugar to bump the sg up to 1.060 or 1.065 and see if the yeast leaves you with some residual sugar when it dies out. Ale yeasts will ferment down to 1.000 also - even if you bump the sg with sugar, but they will leave a good residual taste. If the bread yeast is not very alcohol tolerant, it might leave you with some residual sugar if you bump the sg. Might not taste great, but would still be sweet.

Probably it was the temps that killed it. You want to do the ferment in as cool a place as possible

Swap the bread yeast for SO4 next time and keep it cool and you will be fine. You might get some interesting results with the bread yeast by bumping the sg, but then again you might end up with the same bitter taste, just more alcohol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #32
con20or
Recipes 

Great advice thanks, didnt know I could add sugar before hand. I'll get some of that yeast you mentioned, the ale stuff.

Out of curiosity, how much sugar would be needed to raise 4l of liquid by 0.01?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #33
con20or
Recipes 

Is this the stuff? Is there somewhere better to buy than ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Safale-S-04-Yeast...d=p3286.c0.m14

Something else occurred to me, when I was racking it, all the sediment that had gathered at the bottom I tried to get as little of that as possible. That wasn't some vital component of the process was it?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #34
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

4 1/2 oz of sugar per gallon to raise sg by 0.010

I use a mix of 2/3 of organic sugar to 1/3 dextrose to match the taste of the apple sugar, but plain white sugar is pretty close. Adding sugar will bump the alcohol, which helps it keep longer, but using no sugar gives you a little more apple taste. S04 is good with no sugar, with sugar or with some honey, US05 works best with some sugar. Nottingham is good with and without sugar, not as good with honey

You can also get a lot more taste by cold crashing it, but you wont get any fiz unless you put it in a keg to force carbonate

Old 09-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #35
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thats the stuff. Do you have a local home brew store? It might cost a little more at the store, but you dont get whacked with postage.

You want to leave all the sediment behind when you rack - there will be some yeast left in the juice, although I cold crash to force the yeast to drop while the cider is still fairly sweet, then use a keg to add the carbonation.

Quick Reply