New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Turbo Cider or Runny Apple Water??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
con20or
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Turbo Cider or Runny Apple Water??

Hi everyone, I'm very new to the brewing world and a little confused. I've tried to make some turbo cider from a recipe i found on youtube (while im waiting for apple season)

I found alot of the answers I was looking for in other posts on this forum, but I would like to get confirmation on some points and help on others. Sorry if this is a long one.

Turbo Cider
The recipe called for 5l Apple Juice, some yeast nutrient and some yeast. Simple as. I put it together, and took a hydrometer reading. It was my first time using a hydrometer, but I think i read it right. The SG was something in the region of 1.05 to start? As I mentioned, I have looked around and 1.05 for apple juice seems like average. After a day or two it was bubbling away like mad, I waited two weeks or so like the recipe said, it had started to stop bubbling out of the airlock. I hesitated at this point and waited probably another 4 to 5 days before today i finally siphoned it off into another demijohn. I took another SG reading and it was 1.005 or nearabouts (i am not entirely sure i read it right, but I think so.).

I tasted it, it just tasted like cider that had been mixed with water. I used a brewing calculator and it sais i should be getting around 5.6% strength? Surely i would taste that..Have I tasted it too soon and its actually ok? Or have I left it in the Demijohn too long after fermentation stopped?

A few other questions;

-When I siphoned it out of the demijohn (called racking?), I didnt bring the tube too close to the bottom so I wouldnt get any of the sediment. I left a good centimetre or two of juice, is that the right thing to do? It has left a slightly larger gap at the top now, am i in danger of making apple vinegar?

-I have read on the forum that the longer you leave cider in the demijohn, it gets clearer and eventually will get fizzy? Is that correct? The store bought ciders i have always bought are fizzy, is that the end product you all try and reach? or do you go for alcoholic apple juice consistency?

-When do I bottle it? When it stops bubbling in the airlock? It isnt doing much in there at the minute in its second container. Nothing in fact...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi, sounds like you haven't done anything wrong. To make the cider "fizzy" you add sugar when bottling. I add 1 level teaspoon per 750ml bottle. The yeast left in the cider will work on this sugar and make co2, but you need it to be fairly warm (20C) and don't leave too long in secondary or the yeast will all drop out. I bottle about a month after starting primary, it doesn't really matter if it hasn't cleared properly, you will get a bit of sediment from the sugar you add anyway. The fizz takes a couple of weeks to develop, when fizzy it will taste much better.
Cider made from apples will taste much better, the juice in shops is diluted, pasteurised etc. My cider gets about 7% alcohol.
The air space shouldn't matter so long as you don't open the container until ready to bottle. If you want to open it for tasting etc top it up with a bit of water, it shouldn't dilute it very much.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
con20or
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick reply, Glad to hear that it seems to have gone ok. I'll bottle them tomorrow. I have a load of the metal and rubber bung bottles (Grolsch mainly) I presume their ok? Even if theyre not, was no hardship collecting them..

Theyre 500ml bottles only, so ill adjust the amount of sugar. Is is plain white sugar? I have white, brown and muscovado.

What do i watch for when i bottle them to know theyre ready? Once the sugar has worked can i then put them in the fridge?

Thanks again.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts

Plain white sugar is fine. Leave the bottles a fortnight then try one, if its fizzy its ready, if not leave another fortnight. Once fizzy you can certainly fridge them, though they will age better at room temp so only fridge a few. If you'r still not happy with the flavour you can add a bit of apple juice as you drink it to sweeten it.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The apple flavor goes away, and comes back. After two full months you'll start to have the flavor return. Just give it some more time.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
con20or
Recipes 

Thanks guys, i added some sugar and bottled it.

Do I really wait two months more with apple juice? The recipe seemed to think it was ready to drink after the fortnight and didnt mention sugar at all..

Old 05-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

As is the case for many fermented beverages, you could start drinking it as soon as it carbonates. It will get better with time.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
con20or
Recipes 

Ok, now I play the waiting game. Cheers everyone, cant wait until apple season to try it for real.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
con20or
Recipes 

I tried a bottle last night after waiting a fortnight since adding the sugar....

I got a nice 'pop' when I opened the bottle and was very impressed when I saw how fizzy it was. I had been peering through the bottles daily to see if there was any sign of movement and had not noticed any.

Poured some out and tasted it, not bad...but kind of tasteless. Am I to gather from the advice I have received already that by leaving it a month the taste will improve? Im sure when i make it with apples it will be much nicer.

What sort of shelf life do they have?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Shelf life... well, how long can you wait? Some say that it gets even better with long aging, a year or more. Mine was great after two months total, and is still good now at 3 months.

Quick Reply