New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Trying a "Berry Apfelwein"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Copernicus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trying a "Berry Apfelwein"

After having our second child 4 months ago and going on a brewing hiatus, I am easing back into it with an easy cider recipe I mixed up today. Here's the ingredient list I used:

4 gallons Kirkland Apple Juice (no preservatives, from concentrate)
1/2 gallon White House Apple Juice (no preservatives, from concentrate, just didn't have another Kirkland)
1/2 gallon Ocean Spray Cranberry, Blueberry, Blackberry, 5 juice blend (no preservatives, from concentrate)
2 lb Turbinado Sugar
5 gm packet of Côte de Blancs wine yeast

I plan to bulk age in the carboy for at least 3 months, then at least another couple months in the bottles. I'm curious to see how this turns out with the berry blend and will report back on it in the Fall. Next weekend...Father's Day beer brew-a-thon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
Bush_84
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did a batch of mixed berry stuff from old orchard. I put a vanilla bean in for a week. Initially it was way to tart to drink. After about 10-12 months it tasted like juice. It had my wife wishing I hadn't given so much of it away!

Primary- Raspberry Melomel - Raspberry Cider
Secondary-Welch Grape Wine - Mapfelwien
Bottled- Mott's Cider - Strawberry Mead - Hard Lemonade - The 84 Bushwacker (~11 abv cider) -Mixed Berry Cider - Graff
-The 84 Bushwacker v2.0

Old 06-13-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 48

The first batch of Apfelwine that I made is almost 6 months old and still a little tart, but mix it with equal parts OJ and Cranberry juice and oh man we have a winner ! I have it on tap and it carbed up nicely.

Quick Reply