Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Transfering carboys while still fermenting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
rocketsan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts

Default Transfering carboys while still fermenting?

Newbie brewer here... Any reason why I shouldn't transfer an overly sweet 11 litre cider that is waaaay too sweet into a 23 litre carboy that I will top up with fresh pressed juice? The og was 1080 and a week later it is 1060 but way too sweet. Hoping that transferring and adding will mellow this out a bit...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Yes, there is a very goods reason why you shouldn't do it: you need the yeast to do their job (fermenting) to get rid of the sweetness, but transferring = getting the brew off the yeast and leaving it behind. So transferring now will have the opposite effect of what you want.

You only ever transfer once fermentation is complete. Not complete = don't transfer.

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
SWFLHOMEBREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsan View Post
Newbie brewer here... Any reason why I shouldn't transfer an overly sweet 11 litre cider that is waaaay too sweet into a 23 litre carboy that I will top up with fresh pressed juice? The og was 1080 and a week later it is 1060 but way too sweet. Hoping that transferring and adding will mellow this out a bit...
Adding more juice wont help with the sweetness. How long has it been fermenting, it shouldnt be done yet at 1060. If it has stopped you could always pitch more yeast??

Old 09-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
rocketsan
Recipes 

It's bubbling away just fine - one bubble every 1.5 seconds. Was just overwhelmed at how sweet it was. Using lactose in conjunction with brown sugar. Was surprised at how sweet it was...

Old 09-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
SWFLHOMEBREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

as it ferments out the yeast "eat" the sugar and therefore when it's done fermenting it won't be anywhere as sweet as it is now. Just give it some time. I have a 5 gallon batch going right now that will be in the primary fermenter for about a month before I transfer to the secondary. And you're right, 1.060 is really sweet, but like I said give it some time.......

Old 09-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My last batch of 5.5 gallons of cider, took a good 20 days to ferment from 1.079 -> 1.000, just be patient. When the bubbles start to slow down a ton, like 2 per minute, then take a gravity reading. If it's bubbling a ton, the yeast are still going strong.

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Old 09-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
rocketsan
Recipes 

Thanks for the reassurance, first time using Maltodextrin for mouthfeel which has changed the taste of it for me as well.

Off to the farm to grab 23 litres to start some more.

Appreciate all the help. My wife calls you all my "home brew homies" seeing as I've been visiting this site non-stop the past few weeks.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Vikings
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsan View Post
It's bubbling away just fine - one bubble every 1.5 seconds. Was just overwhelmed at how sweet it was. Using lactose in conjunction with brown sugar. Was surprised at how sweet it was...
How much lactose did you use? Lactose isn't ferment able, so once all of the brown sugar and natural sugar from the juice has been eaten, the lactose will still be there. If you used too much, your only option will be to dilute with more cider and have fermentation restart on its own (hopefully.)

I'm pretty new though.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
rocketsan
Recipes 

Sorry, it was 1/2 kilo (1pound) of maltodextrin with 2 pounds brown sugar. Seeing as this is a 3 gallon batch, it might be too much?

Old 09-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
Vikings
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That should leave you with something like 1.015 which would be sweet but not syrupy. I don't know a whole lot about the "sweetness" of lactose though. Someone with more experience might chime in.

Quick Reply