Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Traditional Ebbelwoi/Stoeffsche

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
thejerk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Traditional Ebbelwoi/Stoeffsche

Howdy y'all. I want to make a traditional Hessischer Ebbelwoi. To my understanding that means it's served uncarbonated, no sugar added. Super traditional would mean no yeast added, just go with the natural yeasts in fresh pressed, unpasteurized apple juice, but I plan on adding wine yeast to help it out.
Does anybody have roots in Germany or info/tips? Anybody done it this way? Also, can I bottle uncarbonated Ebbelwoi the same way, with regular beer bottle caps, and will it keep? Is there a specific type of wine yeast that the Hessisch Kelterer usually use for their Stoeffsche?
I live near an apple orchard that sells their raw, unpasteurized apple juice frozen year round. I plan on just using that. Sounds super easy and super delicious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think carbonated cider is safer in the bottle but it should be alright uncarbonated. To be safer you can monitor pH to be in the safe 3.2 - 3.5 range and use a yeast like champagne which ferments very dry so there is no fermentable sugar left, and think about malolactic fermentation. These are the sort of things commercial operations do to reduce risk of infection but most home cider makers don't worry and don't have problems so it is a matter of how risk averse you are.
Sorry but i have no idea what Ebbelwoi is, sounds like a character from star wars.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Beernip
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ebbelwoi is also known as Apfelwein. See Ed's thread on making it or search for Apfelwein here and you'll turn up more hits than at a Dead's concert.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-...felwein-14860/

Old 06-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
thejerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, Edwort's Apfelwein with added sugar and carbed isn't quite in the traditional German style. Thanks though.

Last edited by thejerk; 06-24-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply