Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Total Cider Noob: Trying to create a caramel apple drink

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
ErikHoppy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Total Cider Noob: Trying to create a caramel apple drink

Hello all,

I'm totally new to brewing and making cider, but I have some cool ideas floating around in my head that I'd like to try to make.

One of my favorite fall treats is a caramel apple from the local fall fair. I want to make a cider that will taste like this, but I have some questions.

I'm thinking of adding brown sugar and caramel (and maybe some nutmeg?) to my apple juice. Will the brown sugar and/or caramel ferment out? I have read that the caramel will not, but I'm not sure on the brown sugar. I want to have a cider that's "Hard and Fast", so it should be strong but very tasty.

Any and all suggestions/recipes would be great, as I'd like to start this soon, so it can age for 9 months!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #2
corexcore
Recipes 

For one thing, I believe there is such a recipe under the cider recipe subforum. I know there's one for a caramel apple mead, but that takes over a year, which is a long time to wait. Based on reading that one, and the caramel apple cider recipe I believe is kicking around though, it sounds like in order to get an enduring caramel flavor you'd want to use some Crystal 60L or 120L. I remember there was some debate about whether caramel would ferment out or not. Brown sugar definitely will. This sounds like a cider that could be great tasting if you left it still and backsweetened it, or did so then carbed up in a keg. Bottle carbing is difficult.

Also, if you are willing to let it age for 9 months, the caramel apple mead is a cyser that you might want to check out, under the mead recipes, this one is by summersolstice.

I'm sure others with more experience can be of more help though.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I will PM you some suggestions.

Forrest

Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
BaronIV
Recipes 

If you don't want to go through the trouble of making caramel and adding it to the cider i have a site (https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8298-caramel-flavor.aspx) that sells water soluble caramel flavoring. I have a bottle of the caramel that i havent used yet, but i've opened it up and it smells AMAZING. 1 small bottle of that should be able to flavor up to 2-3 gallons maintain a good caramel flavor.

p.s. from what i've heard, the brown sugar in cider tends to ferment out into a butterscotch kind of flavor. Good luck with your cider and feel free to contact me if you have any questions about that flavoring.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:28 AM   #5
arxix
Recipes 

I am interested in BaronIV's oil expiraments and that would be an easy solution in place of making the caramel yourself.

I made some caramel and added it to some juice and fermented it. SWMBO tried it and seemed to like it, then Sunday I came home from work and the gallon jug that was 3/4 full was now in the recycling bin. Yes, she was tanked and you could say that she liked it! Now I have to figure out how to make it in 5 gal batches.

Take a look here and let me know if you try it. I think 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water per 5gal would be a place to start(depending on how dry it would normally ferment out) and I don't think it wouldn't over sweeten it. As soon as I can find another 24 bottles I will backsweeten it with the 2 cups and re-post my findings.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/anyo...46/index2.html

-ArXiX

Old 01-27-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
BaronIV
Recipes 

as per my experiments, i made a 1 gallon batch with a single dram of butter rum extract in it. It's nearing its FG around 1.005 and the butter rum smell is almost overpowering (havent tasted yet). if i were to make a conclusion, i would say that one of those drams (of a stronger flavor like butterrum or caramel) should be sufficient for 2-3 gallons of cider.

If you go with the extracts that i posted i would reccomend adding 1 bottle to the primary for a 5 gallon batch and after it ferments add more as needed. just so you don't overshoot the caramel taste.

hope this helped

Last edited by BaronIV; 01-27-2010 at 03:53 AM.

Quick Reply