Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Too much headspace in my secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
ptafan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too much headspace in my secondary?

I've had my ciders sitting in secondary 1 gallon carboys for about two weeks now, as this level, to allow them to settle. There's almost no fermentation activity happening since I've racked, so probably not much CO2 buildup. I'm worried that this may have been too much headspace. Thoughts?

img_20131231_110750_748.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
andhou27
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Let them go, if this is secondary there shouldn't be any activity you can see but they are still working. That head space looks fine.

Future Brews: Honey Kolsch, Black IPA, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Assaazin Belgian Pale Ale
Past Brews: Irish Red Ale

Old 01-01-2014, 02:19 AM   #3
rocketsan22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No it doesn't! Waaaaay too much headspace...

Old 01-03-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
d00b
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'M curious about the head space too. Can anybody with experience chime in about the con's?

I've made a couple crappy beers before and wondering if that played a big part.

I have just racked my first cider into secondary and I have about that much space. Should I add more apple juice? I was about to use super Kleer. Can I use it after adding the apple juice? I didn't want to use sorbate.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:27 AM   #5
pumpkinman2012
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 269

The only time that head space is ok is during an active fermentation, the CO2 being produced will be sufficient to protect your wine, cider, mead and so forth, once wine of cider has finished fermenting, (no guess work, use a hydrometer to tell you, if you're not using one, it's only time before mistakes happen), you need to stabilize the wine or cider with Potassium Metabisulfite.
As far as what I see in your picture, I'd take one of the gallons, top off the other two and rack the rest into a 1/2 gallon jug leaving only an inch of head space.
If your hydrometer tells you that fermentation is finished, you can put solid stoppers in, no need for airlocks.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:54 AM   #6
d00b
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinman2012 View Post
The only time that head space is ok is during an active fermentation, the CO2 being produced will be sufficient to protect your wine, cider, mead and so forth, once wine of cider has finished fermenting, (no guess work, use a hydrometer to tell you, if you're not using one, it's only time before mistakes happen), you need to stabilize the wine or cider with Potassium Metabisulfite.
As far as what I see in your picture, I'd take one of the gallons, top off the other two and rack the rest into a 1/2 gallon jug leaving only an inch of head space.
If your hydrometer tells you that fermentation is finished, you can put solid stoppers in, no need for airlocks.
So can I just top up with apple juice and stir and use the super kleer? I just racked to secondary after 3 weeks. I didn't bother taking another reading as the last was .990.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:55 AM   #7
JtotheA
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If I were you, if it doesn't bubble once per couple minutes, just be sure and add some juice. Something (tame) to fill up the headspace and create a lil fermentation. Fill 'em up a bit with something a lil sugary (any juice) and let them sit. Minimizing the headspace with a bit more juice will be good to give the co2 blanket for secondary.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:59 AM   #8
d00b
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheA View Post
If I were you, if it doesn't bubble once per couple minutes, just be sure and add some juice. Something (tame) to fill up the headspace and create a lil fermentation. Fill 'em up a bit with something a lil sugary (any juice) and let them sit. Minimizing the headspace with a bit more juice will be good to give the co2 blanket for secondary.
Day 16 was bubble once per 3 minutes, today is day 20.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

as long as it bubbled at first and you haven't opened it since there should be a layer of CO2. If it never really bubbled or if you've removed the airlock for testing/tasting then that is too much headspace. Should be up in the neck.

Quick Reply