Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Tons of pears from our pear tree.. How to turn into pear cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Tiako
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Tons of pears from our pear tree.. How to turn into pear cider?

How much of a pain would it be to juice and turn them into cider? They are super hard pears also. Just the type of pear it is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
kketterer
Recipes 

Its called Perry. A quick search may come up with some info for you. I too have a pear tree, put I let them sit to long and they rotted this year.

You should Pick them about a week before using them. Let them sit in a basket to soften, Then they will need to be mashed/chopped and pressed. 10-12 Lbs pears per gallon of juice.

Kevin Ketterer
Spencer MA

Bottled: Not much left, a bit of cider/ Double IPA.
Primary: 10 Gallons Of fresh Pressed Apple Cider...
Secondary: TBD
On Deck: Pale Ale

Last edited by kketterer; 09-25-2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: more info.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
BostonRogue
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have made Perry before and KKetterer is accurate. Let the pears ripen to a point to where they are sweet (sugars), and then juice them. You can press them or juice them, but you wanted to boil the juice (to pasteurize and rid of bacteria and wild yeasts) and pitch your own yeast into them, unless of course you are feeling adventurous and want to go the route of spontaneous fermentation.

It's a traditional drink and quite good; I like to make a mix of cider and perry which has turned out well in the past.

Good luck; juicing is a rather laborious effort.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
HopsyTurvy
Recipes 

I also have have a bunch of pears (maybe 30-40 lbs) this year that I picked exactly a week ago. They have been sitting at room temp since to soften, however, they are still quite hard and I think I might let them sit for a bit longer. By the way, our best guess is that they are comice pears.

We are hoping to turn them into perry. Anyone else have thoughts on boiling? Ive been doing some reading through the forum and read some views for and against boiling. I've also read that you want to juice the pears as absolutely quick as possible after mashing the pears to prevent oxidation. On the other hand, I've also read where some people let their pears sit for a day before juicing after mashing.

If anybody has any input on these points i would greatly appreciate it. I'm also looking for some recommendations on yeast types and SG levels. I'm pretty new to home-brewing so feel free to get as overly-detailed as you would like, lol.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
77bawls
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsyTurvy View Post
We are hoping to turn them into perry. Anyone else have thoughts on boiling? Ive been doing some reading through the forum and read some views for and against boiling.
I haven't done any fruit beverages yet but I plan on doing a cider here pretty quick. There is a supply of unpasteurized cider close to where I live. I don't want to boil it so I was thinking about using a campden tablet to kill any unwanted bacteria.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 753 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRogue View Post
boil the juice (to pasteurize and rid of bacteria and wild yeasts) and pitch your own yeast into them
If you boil the juice, you'll set the pectins & your cider/peary will likely never clear. No need when you have campden tablets, just use 1 tab (crushed & mixed with a little water) per gallon & stir well. Wait 12 hrs & pitch your yeast, no worries. A dose of pectic enzyme will help too. Regards, GF.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
HopsyTurvy
Recipes 

I have considered going the campden tablet route. I think this is what I will probably end up doing. I'm just a bit torn on using campden cuz I was reading in the biggest sticky on the cider forum that he experienced a taste change with campden tablets vs without.

Is there any other way to rid yourself of unwanted bacteria and wild yeast in unpasteurized juice though besides boiling or campden tabs?

Also, when I was at my local home-brewers store the other day and talking to an employee there about yeast he was really pushing hard for me to use wine yeast instead of an ale yeast saying that the ale yeasts cant really handle the sugars in fruit and that he hasn't had any success in using ale yeasts with fruit. Any thoughts?

Last edited by HopsyTurvy; 10-12-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
77bawls
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsyTurvy View Post
I have considered going the campden tablet route. I think this is what I will probably end up doing. I'm just a bit torn on using campden cuz I was reading in the biggest sticky on the cider forum that he experienced a taste change with campden tablets vs without.

Is there any other way to rid yourself of unwanted bacteria and wild yeast in unpasteurized juice though besides boiling or campden tabs?

Also, when I was at my local home-brewers store the other day and talking to an employee there about yeast he was really pushing hard for me to use wine yeast instead of an ale yeast saying that the ale yeasts cant really handle the sugars in fruit and that he hasn't had any success in using ale yeasts with fruit. Any thoughts?
I don't know about cider changing taste but that's what most wine makers use.

There is also Potassium Metabisulphite and Sodium Metabisulphite, but campden tablets are made from those. They produce a sulfur smell but it's supposed to go away.

I was planning on using a champagne yeast. I'm not sure about not being able to use ale yeast. Maybe he put it in with the campden tablet's?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:23 AM   #9
HopsyTurvy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77bawls View Post
I'm not sure about not being able to use ale yeast. Maybe he put it in with the campden tablet's?
I ended up using campden tablets. If you put the yeast you intend on using in at the same time as the ground up campden tablets you would kill your yeast and be left with a bucket of pear juice sitting in your closet becoming nothing more then pear juice for months. I went ahead and used the ale yeast Safale S-04 instead of wine or champagne yeast. So we will see. I'll be racking it for the first time here in a couple days or so I think.

I have a 3 gal carboy im going to be racking into but only have about 2.7 gal of juice at the moment. Any ideas on what I should use to bring the volume up a bit. I REALLY want to stay away from store bought juice or cider, have no more pears, and don't have access to any apple or pear farms near by. I was thinking maybe boiling water with organic honey and maybe with some roasted pumpkin seeds then adding that after it cools back to room temp. Im just winging it hear though and don't really know, any ideas?

Last edited by HopsyTurvy; 11-08-2011 at 04:26 AM.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
ajbram
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Just for those who are following this thread and still wondering. I extracted fermentables from my apples by cooking the apples at 170F for about an hour. I raised the temp. quickly to 210 or so and then dropped it. The boiling does not make it so that your cider will never clear. I used a bit of pectic enzyme in my secondary and my cider is crystal clear now... It only took a couple weeks.

Quick Reply