Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Thoughts, suggestions on first batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Chromis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thoughts, suggestions on first batches

Hi everyone I'm new to cider making and this forum as been a great resource for me. I was wondering if anyone had any comments or suggestions on my first two batches.

Batch A

5 x Gallons Indian Summer Cider
1 x 12 oz apple juice concentrate
1 x packet Red Star Champagne yeast

Initial gravity is pretty low at around 1.040

Should I add sugar, honey, more concentrate? I was hoping to get a semi dry cider with this batch and after I did a little research I found that I probably used the wrong yeast as the champagne has a pretty high attentuation. Im not sure what to do with this batch now, I'll probably have to age it for some time once its been through primary and secondary.

Batch B

3 x gallons Indian Summer Cider
16 x 12 oz apple juice from concentrate
2 lbs honey
1 x Nottingham Ale yeast

This batch was somewhat modeled after Brewfrick's "Panty Dropper". I had 3 leftover gallons of cider from my order so I figured why not start another batch? I made up the difference in concentrate (to get 5 gallons) and added organic honey. I went with the Nottingham in order in the hopes of getting a sweeter/ semidry cider. Did I overdo it on the concentrate? Is it going to be "jet fuel"? I've still got a gallon of room in the fermenting bucket so I could add more cider or water if neccessary to dilute it.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

What's the gravity on the second one? It's gotta be pretty high. I'd guess close to 1.100. I haven't used Nottingham in cider, so others will have a better idea of it's limits, but I would expect you will end with a fairly sweet cider.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
Chromis
Recipes 

1.090(!!!)
I'm realizing i kind of went overboard with the concentrate and honey. In hindsight i should have added the honey to batch A-- the concentrated juice was plenty of sugar for batch B.

I didnt post the SG earlier because the concentrate was still thawing. When I saw the hydrometer it was a holy $*@# moment!

I'm still considering adding honey or some type of sugar to batch A.

Quick Reply