New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Test runs




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
davevg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NEPA
Posts: 28
Default Test runs

Ok so heres the deal. I bought 4 one gallon glass jugs to use for test runs of ciders. If I was to make say 2 different batches of cider could I split a package of yeast between the two or would that be too little to get them started?


__________________

Dave VG

davevg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 02:22 AM   #2
Pogo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 344
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

One 5 gram packet of dry yeast is good for a batch of from 1 to 5 gallons, according to the packets themselves.

I've used 1 packet for single 6.5 gallon batches before with no problems, also.

Either way should work fine.

I'm no expert, but in my view, the option is yours?

Pogo



__________________
Pogo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
davevg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NEPA
Posts: 28
Default

Pogo I read that to. But was wondering if anyone has tried splitting it between 2 batches. I have no problem using one per, but right now I have one packet of EC-118 and a 25 minute drive for more. By the time I figure gas into the mix that’s one expensive batch.

Thanks
Dave

__________________

Dave VG

davevg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Pogo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 344
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear.

I've also split a packet five ways between five one gallon batches.

Everything went perfectly.

The option is yours.

Pogo

__________________
Pogo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
davevg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NEPA
Posts: 28
Default

Wow five way split. Thanks pogo I think I'll give it a try.

__________________

Dave VG

davevg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
Snuffalupagus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 261
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevg View Post
Wow five way split. Thanks pogo I think I'll give it a try.


yeasty beasties are amazing little organisims. nothing cooler than a fungus that eats sugar and poops alchohol.

you could probably only throw 11-12 little dry colony balls into a sugary liquid and get the desired result, it might take an extra day or two to finish fermenting out but it'll happen - after all if given a good place to live and feed (like applejuice with additional sugar) they reproduce like crack addled rabbits.
__________________
Snuffalupagus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
davevg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NEPA
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffalupagus View Post
yeasty beasties are amazing little organisims. nothing cooler than a fungus that eats sugar and poops alchohol.

you could probably only throw 11-12 little dry colony balls into a sugary liquid and get the desired result, it might take an extra day or two to finish fermenting out but it'll happen - after all if given a good place to live and feed (like applejuice with additional sugar) they reproduce like crack addled rabbits.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!
__________________

Dave VG

davevg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 7,716
Liked 575 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 1251

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevg View Post
Ok so heres the deal. I bought 4 one gallon glass jugs to use for test runs of ciders. If I was to make say 2 different batches of cider could I split a package of yeast between the two or would that be too little to get them started?
Why not make a 5 cup (by volume) yeast starter & then add 1 cup starter slurry to each gallon jug? Just let the yeast do it's thing in the starter for a couple hours & those little buggers will multiply quite well, and they'll hit your must running at full speed. That's just my 2 cents worth, hope it's useful. Regards, GF.
__________________
gratus fermentatio is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
effigyoffaith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lafayette, IN
Posts: 118
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
Why not make a 5 cup (by volume) yeast starter & then add 1 cup starter slurry to each gallon jug? Just let the yeast do it's thing in the starter for a couple hours & those little buggers will multiply quite well, and they'll hit your must running at full speed. That's just my 2 cents worth, hope it's useful. Regards, GF.
+1

This is what I do whenever I am doing multiple 1 gal. test batches


__________________
Planning:Choke cherry wine, brown ale.
Fermenting:
Bulk Aging: Oud bruin with elderberries, Brett Saison, ordinary bitter.
Bottled: Oud Bruin, cider, black raspberry mead, Elderberry wine.
effigyoffaith is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got the runs from my homebrew... Jmac General Beer Discussion 114 09-18-2013 02:29 PM
What if your CO2 tank runs out? Slipgate Bottling/Kegging 5 10-28-2008 10:49 PM
what happens when co2 runs out? grrtt78 Bottling/Kegging 4 09-14-2007 03:55 PM
I got the runs ChrisKoivu General Beer Discussion 8 01-27-2005 01:36 PM