Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Tartness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008, 02:36 AM   #1
myleviathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tartness

I just tried my cider after three weeks of fermentation (2 weeks in primary, 1 week in secondary)

There's quite a bit of tartness/tanginess. Does this generally improve with age, or is there an additive available to counteract it?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2008, 03:57 AM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Depends, what kind of juice did you use, did you add acid blend, what yeast?

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 08-15-2008, 04:01 AM   #3
myleviathan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
Depends, what kind of juice did you use, did you add acid blend, what yeast?
I used unfiltered apple juice from the grocery store, and my yeast was () bread yeast.

I didn't add any acid blend.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:08 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes it will change (improve) with aging. The sweetness comes back out with proper aging. Cider should be aged 6 to 12 months. Some don't believe it should be bottled before it's a year old.

My first FIL gave me some that was 19 years old and it was amazing. Waiting 19 years would probably test most of our patience quite a bit.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:24 AM   #5
myleviathan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
Yes it will change (improve) with aging. The sweetness comes back out with proper aging. Cider should be aged 6 to 12 months. Some don't believe it should be bottled before it's a year old.

My first FIL gave me some that was 19 years old and it was amazing. Waiting 19 years would probably test most of our patience quite a bit.
My God - 19 years! I can't help but look at my brew every day. It's been a long three weeks. Maybe when you have a bunch of different batches going it gets easier to be patient. I really can't wait until I have about 5 secondaries going, but right now it's just one. It's not good for me to have just one. I obsess over it. I stalk it. I sniff it.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:27 AM   #6
Toppers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It all burns off with age. I made some with unfiltered juice and after only 2 months in bottle it turned out smooth. Undrinkable and tart at 1, coming into its own at 2. I can't imagine 6 months or even...19 years? wtf lol. I will never see 19 years that's for sure.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #7
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by myleviathan View Post
My God - 19 years! I can't help but look at my brew every day. It's been a long three weeks. Maybe when you have a bunch of different batches going it gets easier to be patient. I really can't wait until I have about 5 secondaries going, but right now it's just one. It's not good for me to have just one. I obsess over it. I stalk it. I sniff it.
Honey, we all sniff it at some point.
It does get easier to wait when you have a lots in the pipeline and on the shelf. The easiest thing is to pull out the wallet and purchase enough fermenters and secondaries to ease the pain.
The nice thing about cider is it can (and should) sit for a long time in a secondary so you don't have to worry about having enough bottles right away.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by myleviathan View Post
I honestly don't believe that that was close to drinkable let alone good. 19 years, everything would be gone from it. I highly highly doubt you had a tannic structure to support 19 years. Hell the best whites aren't good for anything close to that long.

Cider is actually something that is best when fairly young.

Quick Reply