Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Tart mint cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
gmcapone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Tart mint cider

I'm gonna try and make a Cider soon but I don't have too much experience with them. I made one last year and it came out pretty great. It was sweet though and being that this is going to be a summer drink I wanted something a little more refreshing.

I was wondering if I could get any advice on how to make the cider a little more tart and get a good balance of the mint. What type of acid should I use? Should I use both Tannin and acid? How much? Anyone have experience using mint in cider? How did it come out? How much would you recommend to get a nice somewhat subtle balance?

Thanks!

Primary 1: Doppelbock
Primary 2: Dubbel (Demaciale)
Bottled/Kegged:Storm Giant IPA, Bananas Foster Ale, Storm Giant IPA, Black IPA (Head Hop IPA), Hefeweizen, Chipotle Ale (Juan More Cerveza)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
outstretched
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds amazing and delicious.

1. Acid Blend: http://www.eckraus.com/6-oz-acid-blend.html

2. They do two different things. Acid will increase tart / sourness. Tannin increases mouth-feel.

3. Depends on your preference. Start with a sample batch (1 pint) and go from there.

4. I have not used mint yet, but I am planning on it when the mint comes up in the garden this year.

I would add the mint (non extract) in secondary in a bag or tied to a string as once you hit your mint flavor level you'll want to be able to pull it out (which could mean racking it if you just have leaves.)

If you are using extract, good luck.

Are you planning on "dry hopping" with mint leaves or using some kind of extract? I am planning on making several varieties of minted drinks (Cider, Skeeter Pee, Arnold Palmer?) this summer.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
gmcapone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outstretched View Post
Sounds amazing and delicious.

1. Acid Blend: http://www.eckraus.com/6-oz-acid-blend.html

2. They do two different things. Acid will increase tart / sourness. Tannin increases mouth-feel.

3. Depends on your preference. Start with a sample batch (1 pint) and go from there.

4. I have not used mint yet, but I am planning on it when the mint comes up in the garden this year.

I would add the mint (non extract) in secondary in a bag or tied to a string as once you hit your mint flavor level you'll want to be able to pull it out (which could mean racking it if you just have leaves.)

If you are using extract, good luck.

Are you planning on "dry hopping" with mint leaves or using some kind of extract? I am planning on making several varieties of minted drinks (Cider, Skeeter Pee, Arnold Palmer?) this summer.
Thank you so much! I'm thinking leaves, but kinda worried about an infection using them. I'm not too sure how to sanitize leaves without ruining them lol

Bottled/Kegged:Storm Giant IPA, Bananas Foster Ale, Storm Giant IPA, Black IPA (Head Hop IPA), Hefeweizen, Chipotle Ale (Juan More Cerveza)

Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
Machalel
Recipes 

Tannin will also lead to an astringency, but that's not out of place obviously.

I've got some mint leaves which are 'marinating' in some vodka, which I plan to add to my Mint Tea Wine that I'm making at the moment. You could try doing this as well as putting it in the fermentation - apparently it helps extract the mint oil and aromas that are "blown out" through the main fermentation process. It also sanitises them too!

As for the acid, I would wait until the cider is finished fermenting, and take a sample. Add small measure amounts bit by bit to see how it tastes. Then you can easily calculate up to how much you would need for the whole batch.

Just for guidance, a rough conservative measurement to start with is probably ~1/4 tsp acid blend per gal, and work your way up from there.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
gmcapone
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice! Just to clarify though you are suggesting adding the mint during primary fermentation after soaking them in vodka?

Old 04-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #6
Machalel
Recipes 

Sorry, I didnt write out what was in my head :P

In mine, I am adding them after the primary fermentation has completed. I guess you could add them at the start if you wanted to, or you could do a split batch and go half-half.

If you add them at the start you might not get enough mint taste when it has finished, but you also run the risk of having it too minty. If you add it afterwards, you have a bit more control over how the final product tastes.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
gmcapone
Recipes 

Ya, I think I'd pass on putting them in the primary. How much would you suggest using for a 5gal batch?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Machalel
Recipes 

Not really sure how much.

I've got about 3g in 1L - so that works out to be 0.4 oz in a gal. But I also have put in some peppermint tea and spearmint tea, and it hasn't finished yet. At this stage, it has a nice, but not overpowering mintiness to it. I think I might need to add more.

Take a look at these:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques55.asp
http://scorpius.spaceports.com/~goodwine/mintwine.htm
http://www.wine-making-guides.com/mint_wine.html

Old 03-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
oops
Recipes 

I was thinking the same with regards to adding mint. Did you ever add it to your 5 gallon batch? if so how much did you use? Im guessing you used fresh leaves?

Quick Reply