Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > sweeten and bottle carb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
theguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sweeten and bottle carb

I have a batch of cider this will be finished soon. I wanted to sweeten with some apple juice I saved, but I also wanted to carb it. Most of the threads I have came across are doing one or the other. So my question is: is it possible to sweeten with apple juice and bottle carb? If it is possible, how should I do this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm pretty sure the apple juice will ferment out, leaving very little sweetness. AND, if you add apple juice to any priming sugar, you could have boms on your hands. I had to throw a batch away earlier this year after priming with just apple juice - just miscalculated - and had several bottles explode.

I just back-sweetened a brown I just bottled using Splenda - I was kind of worried about using Splenda (actually Kroger brand), but my LHBS guy said he read a pretty extensive report that stated that Splenda imparted the least flavor of any artificial non-fermentable sweeteners (including Stevia). I'm still waiting on the final carbed version, but at time of bottling, it tasted pretty good.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:09 AM   #3
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

if you scroll to the bottom of this page, you'll see this thread

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/can-i-sweeten-when-i-bottle-carbonate-52098/

which should answer your question. This is probably the most asked question in the cider forum.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 11-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
theguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
if you scroll to the bottom of this page, you'll see this thread

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/can-i-sweeten-when-i-bottle-carbonate-52098/

which should answer your question. This is probably the most asked question in the cider forum.
Sheesh...That was the perfect thread to answer what I needed...I swear that I searched for similar topics before posting...

Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
theguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybrew View Post
I'm pretty sure the apple juice will ferment out, leaving very little sweetness. AND, if you add apple juice to any priming sugar, you could have boms on your hands. I had to throw a batch away earlier this year after priming with just apple juice - just miscalculated - and had several bottles explode.

I just back-sweetened a brown I just bottled using Splenda - I was kind of worried about using Splenda (actually Kroger brand), but my LHBS guy said he read a pretty extensive report that stated that Splenda imparted the least flavor of any artificial non-fermentable sweeteners (including Stevia). I'm still waiting on the final carbed version, but at time of bottling, it tasted pretty good.
Just curious, how much priming sugar did you use? A lot of the other threads I came across suggested using splenda also.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy View Post
Just curious, how much priming sugar did you use? A lot of the other threads I came across suggested using splenda also.
If I remember correctly, I used a cup of splenda which should have been equivalent to 10 3/4 oz of cane sugar. If I did my calculations correctly, this would have added 5-7 pts to my FG, which was 1.006 pre-splenda-addition. So, maybe it's giving the impression of a FG of 1.013. I've got a few weeks before I try it, so I'll just have to see...

Quick Reply