Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Sweet Vanilla Cider Round one.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
mrbeachroach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sweet Vanilla Cider Round one.

Ok heres the rundown. 5.5 gallons organic apple juice
Dextrose till OG 1.064 Piched Redstar Champeign yeast.

I have 1 (split) madagaskarian vanilla bean soaking in 3/4 cup grey goose for 2 days now.

I will pull the batch off fermentation when the alcohol content is about 6 percent then I debate 2 things, spliting the batch in half and spliting the bean
and vodka mix into 2 seperate batches letting them both cold crash in fermenters for 6 days in the fridge, then take batch 1 and bottle, test carb for 4 days till reached then re chill batch 1 till I want to drink. We will call batch 1 sweet batch.

For batch 2 after 6 days chilling with the vanilla take it out and let it finish fermenting dry, then rack to secondary with vanilla bean still and condition for 4 or more months.

Question 1 Will this work for both and taste great.
Question 2 when I split the batches can I have that much headspace 2.5 gallons air and be ok for taste and finishing the dry fermentation of batch 2?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
mrbeachroach
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Dont just read and pass me up.... Please Reply!!!!!! I need help Newbii......

Old 04-25-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
northman
Recipes 

not too much of a fan of vanilla in my cider, drinking a batch right now and would be wonderful if not for the vanilla.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
unclejimbay
Recipes 

I would suggest add 1/2 or the whole bean to half of your batch. That way you have one plain ciader, and one with vanilla for comparison.

If the vanilla batch comes out to strong, you can always blend some from each batch, just go ahead and bottle both up now.

Save some bottle sof each batch to age as you wanted to, and you can try some of each as time goes by...

Quick Reply