Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Sweet mead yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
RugenBrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Sweet mead yeast

Has anyone used Wyeat 4184 for Cider. It is a sweet mead yeast which is suppose to finish out with 3-4 % residual sugar. Has anyone who is looking for a sweeter cider had any luck with this or does it ferment all the way out when making cider? Just a thought

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

I used this in a Peach/Apple cider of mine, and I'd have to say it did end up pretty dry still, not like bone, but off-dry, it worked out well, but next time I'll use an ale yeast like nottingham instead. Another thing about is that the sweet mead yeast doesn't fllocuate worth a darn, it stayed cloudy for bloody ever.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 12-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
wreckinball9
Recipes 

true, it does leave a pretty cloudy cider. however, the sweet mead yeast is awesome for cider, leaving a lot of the sweet appley flavor behind. mine didnt finish dry, it finished at 1.010. i highly recommend it.

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:20 AM   #4
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I guess I'll have to experiment and compare it to safale SO 4. Don't have much time left. The cider mill started their lst pressing today!

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 12-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Firstnten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugenBrau View Post
I guess I'll have to experiment and compare it to safale SO 4. Don't have much time left. The cider mill started their lst pressing today!
I have used WL sweetmead on my lest batch. It finished out dry FG around 1.000 not much difference between that and using their Champagne yeast.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The 4184 is good if you can keep it from drying out. It ferments a little faster than S04. Last year I did a gallon of it, crashed at 1.010 and it was quite good. This year I did a keg batch. It dropped from 1.060 to 1.006 in 13 days. At that point it was very good but I wasnt able to cold crash it until the next day. That was a mistake because by that time it was 1.002 and a lot dryer. It also doesnt seem to crash as well as the S04 - it stayed stable for a while, but then dropped to 1.000 and currently tastes pretty raw. I'm hoping it will improve with age

Quick Reply