Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Sweet&Carbed Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
sicklesr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Sweet&Carbed Cider

Just fermented 5 gallons of some local upstate NY cider. The cider was freshly pressed, and UV pasturized.

I used Red Star champagne yeast, and the FG just hit 1.000.

I want to have a carbonated, yet sweet apple cider. For the Limeaid I made, I used Truvia to sweeten the beverage and corn sugar to carbonate it. I boiled the Truvia in some water and added it to the bottling bucket untill a desired sweetness was found. Then I used a normal amount of corn sugar to achieve carbonation.

The Limeaid was good, but I felt like there was some off flavors from the other agents in the Truvia.

Has anyone used pure Stevia (the sweetener in Truvia) to sweeten, and corn sugar to carbonate apple cider?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
tristan1220
Recipes 

How do you get carbonation?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
clengman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan1220 View Post
How do you get carbonation?
Bottle in airtight container with a tiny bit of residual yeast and a measured dose of additional sugar. The yeast ferments the sugar, produces some CO2 that dissolves in the cider because it can't get out of the sealed bottle. When you pop the cap, voila! effervescence.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I use liquid better stevia extract and dose 5gal with 4mL.. if you go too high it starts tasting metallic.. it's also not the same sweetness as sucrose, kinda hits the back of your young more than the front like cane sugar does. What I do is start with the lowest serving size per cup and multiply it to 5 gallons.. I believe mine was like .0012mL to a cup.. hope this helps

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Lammyrock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can also add only sugar and cold crash or heat pasteurize it before all the sugar is consumed (time depends on the amount of yeast and sugar are in the bottles) -I use a plastic soda bottle as a gauge for when to stop the carbonation.

Quick Reply