Super High Gravity Yeast and Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miloa

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there has used WLP099 super high gravity yeast in their ciders or wines

I guess if it doesnt work with the high gravity yeast I could always try Alcobase Extreme Turbo Yeast,says it can get you 23% abv with a gallon of water and 4# sugar, with the right nutrients.

Given the discussion you've already been subject to on your other thread, I think you should read carefully the following direction:
Do not start with the entire wort sugar at once. Begin fermentation with a wort that would produce a 6-8% beer, and add wort (it can be concentrated) each day during the first 5 days. This can be done together with aeration. This is mandatory if the reported 25% ABV is to be achieved.

If you are really trying to make something drinkable, super high gravity turbo yeast isn't the answer. That stuff is made for distillers and produces a base beverage full of esters and other funny off flavors from the extremely fast fermentation. If you are serious about this, and aren't just trying to make hooch, you might want to look into freeze concentration. Its much easier for someone with a limited knowledge of yeast.

Latest posts

Back