The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > ??Sulphite When Racking??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
KevinJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ??Sulphite When Racking??

Do you (or should you) add Sulphite each time you rack? I have heard you do this to prevent oxidation. Do you do it when you rack your primary?

Is it necessary before bottling if you are completely fermented with no residual sugar?

Than
Kevin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Many people don't sulfite, but I do. I use one campden tablet per gallon at every other racking. If the cider will be consumed within a year, I wouldn't bother adding any at bottling. With most of my wines, they are at about 12-13% ABV so I like to age them. I do use sulfites in all of my wines, but at the lowest amount I need to preserve them.

Sulfites are a preservative, as well as an antioxidant. Using them at every racking would be too much. If you don't have an SO2 meter (I don't) using them at every other racking would probably still get you to a 50 ppm concentration.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
KevinJ
Recipes 

If people do not use sulfites before bottling how do they keep their wine from starting back up when they bottle it (and creating bottle bombs)?

Kevin

Old 07-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
If people do not use sulfites before bottling how do they keep their wine from starting back up when they bottle it (and creating bottle bombs)?

Kevin
You wait until fermentation is finished, and don't sweeten the wine unless you are purposely trying to overcome the yeast's alcohol tolerance. If fermentation is completely done, it won't start up again when it's bottled.

Quick Reply