*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Strawberry Rhubarb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
mitch1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strawberry Rhubarb

I don't know if I am putting this in the correct forum, because I did not make beer, nor is it cider. I hope you guys can help.

I have made a vairation of the hard lemonade. I like to call mine hard "Strawbarb" ade. I used strawberries and rhubarb.

How long do you think something like this should take to ferment. Do you think 2 weeks would be sufficient.

When I am ready to bottle this concoction, is 1tsp of priming sugar per bottle enough and should an additional 2 weeks to carbonate be sufficient?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
jevchance
Recipes 

So its like a strawberry rhubarb wine (no malts) that you want to carbonate in the bottle?

If you're preparing it like this, I'd recommend a longer ferment, at least 2-3 months. Then I'd probably add carb tabs to the bottles instead of priming sugar. What kind of yeast are you using for primary fermentation?

BTW sounds interesting, and just the kind of science experiment I would try.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
mitch1
Recipes 

I guess I wouldn't call it wine. I used a recipe a friend of mine gave me, only I substituted the Straw. & Rhubarb for the lemons. You are correct that there is no malt.

His recipe called for plain bread yeast and a fermention of 1 week, and then carbonation of 1-2 weeks in the bottle. I have tasted this and it tastes just like mikes hard lemonade.

My thought was that the rhubarb and strawberries may be more acidic than the lemons therefore requiring a longer ferment.

I was skeptical about the bread yeast, but that's what he used. I guess if it doesn't work I am only out a bag of sugar because the rhubarb and strawberries I have an abundance of.

The concoction tasted great before I pitched the yeast, so I'm hoping for some sort of positive result

Old 08-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
jevchance
Recipes 

Well if the fermentation doesn't stall, it should work out the same as your friends.

With this kind of experiment, I might follow the recipe with most of the must, and maybe reserve a few bottles for 3 or more months just to see how the time impacts the flavor.

Let us know how it turned out!

Primarys: Empty
1 Gallon Secondaries: Strawberry Wine | Strawberry Wine | Red Raspberry Wine | Blueberry Raisin Wine
5 Gallon Secondaries: Hard Cider | Hard Cider
Bottle Conditioning: Brewers Best Red Ale
Drinking: 3 Year Mead or Banana Wine, Brewers Best American Light Ale, Apfelwein (Hooch)

Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
mitch1
Recipes 

This concoction seems to be fermenting right along. Lots of activity in the air lock. When I am ready to bottle this, can I sweeten with splenda, and then still use 1/2 - 3/4 cup of corn sugar to carbonate it. I don't know if the splenda would mess up the carbonation. What do you guys think?

Old 08-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
jevchance
Recipes 

I've never sweetened with Splenda, I've always used conditioner. I would think Splenda will work just fine though.

Do you know what your FG reading is going to be?

1 Gallon Secondaries: Strawberry Wine | Strawberry Wine | Red Raspberry Wine | Blueberry Raisin Wine
Drinking: 3 Year Mead or Banana Wine, Brewers Best American Light Ale, Apfelwein (Hooch)

Old 08-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
jevchance
Recipes 

Mitch take a look at this:

The Brewing Network • View topic - Is Splenda (aka sucralose) fermentable?

Old 08-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
mitch1
Recipes 

Thanks, I read the link --

If I understand what is said correctly, I should be able to use it since it is not a sugar. Did I understand it correctly?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
jevchance
Recipes 

Heh well its not definitive, but that's the impression I get as well.

However, since it introduces some new chemicals to the mix, there is a chance for off flavors.

All I can say is, try it! Wine conditioner will always be a safer bet, but give it a try and please post the results.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
mitch1
Recipes 

Thank you for your help. I will hopefully be bottling next week, I will let you know how it turns out

Quick Reply