Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Strawberry Cider questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Robcore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strawberry Cider questions!

Hi everyone. New to forum, first real home brew, blah blah blah etc.

Sadly I failed my first home brew attempt some months ago when I tried to make a regular cider from a kit (I know, how did I manage that.) Some of the equipment was handed down to me, some was new (the keg and ferm bucket included.) Having sodded this up, i'm getting my dad to help me as he's had a fair bit of experience with it, but we're deciding on the best method of creating a Strawberry Cider ready for the summer.

Method 1: Brew cider, flavour with strawberry cordial. A bit crap, but will no doubt result in something that will go down a treat in the sunshine!

Method 2: Apple juice and strawberry juice together (possibly kit juice,) brew solely from this with no secondary. Not sure how it will taste at all.

Method 3: Brew cider, brew strawberry liquor of sorts in a DJ from real strawberries, mix together. Will result in some strange liquor/cider hybrid.

Method 4: Brew cider, then ferment again with strawberries when it's ready.

Okay, we're a bit crap to be fair, but we're after something fun to drink for the summer. Would prefer to have this tasting sweet and fizzy rather than leaning towards scrumpy, more like a commercial cider (strongbow/scrumpy jack/brothers, etc.) I'm aiming for somewhere about 7.5%

Any help would be appreciated! cheers!

Last edited by Robcore; 05-05-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
g_rath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would go with option 4. But that is just from my experience with adding fruit to beer and not liking fake things in my beer. I’m guessing you can keg because you said you have one. I would say to kill the yeast when its done fermenting/ conditioning and just sweeten to taste with sugar or apple juice.

Planed: more cider.
Primary: empty
Secondary:Dry hopped amber ale, Does Equis clone.
Keged:Pumpkin spice, wizen.
Bottled: Hard cider, Oaked bourbon vanilla cider, Vanilla Porter.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Eek. This should be long underway already! I would normally concur with g_rath's suggestion and say #4 as well but given the time frame you are looking at, and then waiting for the berry glop to clear will be really pushing it.

I'd use an Ale yeast that Flocculates fast like Fermentis S-04. The add some Strawberry syrup into the secondary (make sure it is sugar and berries, otherwise use just a flavoring). This will bolster your alcohol content, clear quickly and hopefully give you the flavor you are after.

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
Okay, we're a bit crap to be fair......sweet and fizzy rather than leaning towards scrumpy,
Your local lingo makes me smile.
What about apfelwein and dump a mess of strawberries in there? OR find a gallon or 2 of 100% juice flavored with strawberries....mix that all in. 5 weeks from now is June 10th, 2 1/2 weeks in bottles to carb up is just in time for 4th of July weekend....
OH...wait....You guys don't celebrate that do you? Just given you the raspberries.
Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Robcore
Recipes 

#4 would be really tight by the looks of things, which isn't a great idea. After all, this is my first (hopefully successful) homebrew, and i'd rather us have copious amounts of cider on tap than have to wait another month for it and miss the good weather. It's been seering hot here for the past few days...I have sunburn and it's May! In ENGLAND!

Is there any way to speed up the process of making Apfelwein? Seems easy, but i'd like to have it in a month if possible - I get the feeling apfelwein won't be sweet and fizzy either so something else might work better to suit my taste. Hmmphh. The juice idea is great though, probably the best thing would be to brew just primary with a mixture of apple and strawberry, then flavour it at the end with non-fermentable sugar and strawberry and apple syrup. Sure, it's kinda fake reall,y but I can get to serious brewing when the bulk of the summer is over

Will using Ale Yeast not make the cider flatter than Champagne Yeast? Please excuse my rubbish knowledge of this subject

Cheers for all your help so far!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:

Will using Ale Yeast not make the cider flatter than Champagne Yeast? Please excuse my rubbish knowledge of this subject
You will get the carbonation post fermentation. You let it completely ferment, it will always finish dry regardless of what yeast you use, it's just the nature of Cider. This past year, I did one batch with an Ale yeast, one with a Wine yeast and one Natural. Guess what, they all finished with the same gravity. Flavor profile, well that has to wait until it's conditioned. I plan on doing a write up when that is done. But what it will do, I have found, is substantially decrease your primary fermentation time if you use an Ale yeast. The Wine came in second in terms of speed and the natural ferment is still clearing.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Robcore
Recipes 

Excellent, Ale Yeast it is...any words on chapagne yeast fermenting time?
will get this bad boy underway at the weekend.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
fireball
Recipes 

my cider's have been hitting 1.000 SG in just over a week with Lalvin 1118, it's been trickling off from there.

Quote:
Excellent, Ale Yeast it is...any words on chapagne yeast fermenting time?
will get this bad boy underway at the weekend.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

If you are looking for a summer cider, I'd keep the ABV low ~4%. It will also be ready to drink much sooner and the strawberry flavor should come through better.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've never done cider, but I have done strawberry in beer and it is the one flavor that has not reduced one bit in the 15 months I've had it in bottles.

Quick Reply