Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Stove top pasteurizing cider without added pectic enzyme

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Ronkas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stove top pasteurizing cider without added pectic enzyme

Hi all,
i'm approaching the final stage of production of my first semi-dry cider: the pasteurization!
The problem is, near where I live there is no pectic enzyme. Brewing shops are specialized on winemaking and do not keep this product.

Is there a way to pasteurize without get the pectin fall out of suspension?
Maybe some combination of temps/bath-holding time?

And also, if pectin falls to the bottom, the taste is modified hugely or it's still good?

Thanks!

Wine is as good as life to a man, if it be drunk moderately: what life is then to a man that is without wine? for it was made to make men glad. Wine measurably drunk and in season bringeth gladness of the heart, and cheerfulness of the mind: But wine drunken with excess maketh bitterness of the mind, ith brawling and quarrelling.
Sirach 31,27-30

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 22

the worst thing that can happen is that the cider stays a bit cloudy. this may or may not happen; just go for it and don't worry!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Ronkas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
the worst thing that can happen is that the cider stays a bit cloudy. this may or may not happen; just go for it and don't worry!
Thank you for the reply.
It's already a bit cloudy.
Just asking because, from what i read pasteurizing w/o the enzyme, seems a delicate step.

I've read here a problem of "gelification" in this process http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/past...roblem-362215/ ,

and also here speaks about the denaturation of pectin @ 175F
http://www.windyhillorchard.com/ever...es/article.htm
Wine is as good as life to a man, if it be drunk moderately: what life is then to a man that is without wine? for it was made to make men glad. Wine measurably drunk and in season bringeth gladness of the heart, and cheerfulness of the mind: But wine drunken with excess maketh bitterness of the mind, ith brawling and quarrelling.
Sirach 31,27-30

Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Lammyrock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just heat pasteurized some cider without enzymes and residual fell to the bottom -and looked rather unappetizing. I also cold crashed some, it kept the cloudy look but no residual fell to the bottom.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend heat pasteurizing an unclear cider.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Ronkas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammyrock View Post
I just heat pasteurized some cider without enzymes and residual fell to the bottom -and looked rather unappetizing. I also cold crashed some, it kept the cloudy look but no residual fell to the bottom.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend heat pasteurizing an unclear cider.
Unfortunately, I got my batch already bottled.
There are other viabile alternatives for stopping the bottle fermentation (a part from re-bottling)?
Sirach 31,27-30

Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Lammyrock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cold crash. This worked fine on a few bottles for me.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Ronkas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammyrock View Post
Cold crash. This worked fine on a few bottles for me.
Isn't cool crash a tecnique regarding yeasts and applicable prior to bottling with multiple racking? http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/cold...g-cider-46017/

However, I found this scientific article that explores the heat resistance in S.Cerevisiae of Pilsner beer. The physical and chemical characteristics should be roughly the same, so, applying this to the cider it turns out that 2.5mins @ 50°C give a 3log reduction of viable cells.
Isn't so much, but... I planning to try a security window of temps/times between yeast killing and pectin denaturation.
Sirach 31,27-30

Old 09-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
oljimmy
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Hey Ronkas, did you figure this out? I don't want to lose my pectin but I also don't want gunk.

"The cider drinker marches on."

- The Surfin' Turnips

Old 09-28-2013, 03:31 AM   #9
rocketsan
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts

Mail order some pectic enzyme?

Quick Reply